DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help with DBA exam

Hybrid View

Unhappy

Folks,
    I have few years of experience with Oracle 7.x and 8. Now I want to take the DBA certifiaction exam, but I don't have a clue as to how to prepare for the exam. Could you please help me with this. I tried to find out the info from posts from other users, but I don't understand so many things like for eg. 'STS'. Could someone please give me an idea about preparation for the exam. I will appreciate ur help.

Thanks in advance
    Shubha

Here are some things you can do that will best prepare you for an OCP exam

1. Get your hands on Oracle's Instructor Lead Training books. They are the best to learn from but very expensive

2. Buy books from the Exam Cram series, they provide great detail and good examples

3. STS is Self Test Software and can be found at [url]http://www.selftestsoftware.com[/url], they are great, you can download a sample for free the web site and if you choose you can buy more quetions for them.

4. Oracle documentation is very good to learn the ins and outs of Oracle and will help you on your exams

5. Practice, Practice, Practice.

If it is possible I would also suggest taking some of Oracle ILT courses but they are very expensive, upwards of $2500 US

Smile

My experience says that if you can somehow grab study material provided during Instructor Led Training by ORACLE and prepare from that, you can not fail.

Thanks brhynold and Jkawatra for the information. It appears these Oracle's Instructor Lead Training books are a must for preparation. Actually I am based in south India, so now the problem is how to get my hands on this stuff without blowing a hole in purse. Are there any training Institutes in India(south) which provide this material? If someone can give me this information, it will be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance
    Shubha

Oracle's Instructor Lead Training books are NOT a must for preparation. I had passed all the tests without seeing those books at all.

Thanks Tamilselvan, if you say so, I will take your word for it. But then how do I prepare and what do I read? Could you please tell me, what all you referred?
    Regards
    Shubha

Oracle Online documentation that comes with CDs, a couple of books, you could try with Exam Cram books since they are designed to pass these exams. Then finally use STS tests to get a flavor of how the questions are like

Thanks all the people who replied. Just one last question, how good are these Oracle Press books available for backup and recovery, performance tuning etc, from the exam point of view?

They are probably too advanced for exams. Exam doesnt ask questions so deep

Smile

I never meant that study material provided during ORACLE training is must but if you have that, its more than sufficient.

Its up to an individual which way he wants to adopt and what resouces are available to him.
    Its my opinion and I repeat that this study material is very good for starters or persons with very less experience. This material has been written in very structured manner based upon topics specific to the correspondng OCP exam. Topics have been explained in very simple manner and is very easy to understand and remember.

I agree, its not easy to get this study material without attending ORACLE training.

Experts like Tamilseven (I think he has 10 years experience) may not need these basics as explained in the study material.