DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Update SQLServer data from Oracle 8.1.7

Question Update SQLServer data from Oracle 8.1.7

Hi all !
    I need to insert and update in SQLServer tables, from Oracle 8.1.7 Database (on Sun Solaris 8).
    I heard about the Oracle Heterogeneous Services.
    Is it simple to configure and use ?
    And is it included in the Oracle Enterprise Edition ?
    In fact, I found the $ORACLE_HOME/hs directory but I don't know if its content is ok.
    Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your experience on this subject.

Hi

Nope oracle hetrogenous services is a separately liscensced product..it is not shipped with the enterprise addition of oracle server..

regards
    Hrishy

If it is one time job, you can consider dumping data into ascii format and upload into SQL server.

If it is SQL server to Oracle, then you can use Oracle's Migration workbench.

If it is ongoing process, then its better you write a frontend application, which fetches data from Oracle and writes it to SQL server using drivers.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Originally posted by agasimani
    If it is one time job, you can consider dumping data into ascii format and upload into SQL server.

If it is SQL server to Oracle, then you can use Oracle's Migration workbench.

If it is ongoing process, then its better you write a frontend application, which fetches data from Oracle and writes it to SQL server using drivers.
    Unfortunatly, it is not a one time job ...
    We have to update the SQLServer Database in real time, if it's possible, in the same transaction.

Originally posted by htanga
    Unfortunatly, it is not a one time job ...
    We have to update the SQLServer Database in real time, if it's possible, in the same transaction.
    Use Sagent........

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by hrishy
    Nope oracle hetrogenous services is a separately liscensced product..
    I disagree here. Heterogenous services is a component of the Oracle server, even installed with SE.
    It's possible to use it in two ways:
    * With an Oracle Transparent Gateway, which IS separately licensed(and expensive) product. It uses an agent on the remote system which makes all operation on remote heterogenous DB transparent, it seems to be an Oracle DB - distributed transactions etc.
    * With Generic Connectivity, which is intended for simple tasks and uses ODBC or ADO connection to heterogenous system. Easy to setup on Windows. "For free" AFAIK.

I'm afraid the only possibility is OTG, if you need to use distributed transactions.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

On Sun SOlaris 8, do I have to install something special to use generic connectivity ?
    (Do I need to use Merant's ODBC driver ?)

Does someone can share experience about updating data in sqlserver from oracle 8.1.7 on solaris ?

Thanks a lot in advance ...