DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle export?

Oracle export?

Hi, I'm an newbie and would like to know how to export tables from a live Oracle 8 DB.

I can connect to the Oracle DB via an ODBC connection, but I do not want to mess with the live DB.

I need the Oracle tables for an Interface we are planning on building, which will enable a website to display realtime data, stored in Oracle.

We will probably end up configuring replication between the SQL server and the Oracle DB....since the website is already using a SQL DB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Julian

Replication b/w SQL Server and Oracle, no way...

Move the site to Oracle, SQL Server is pathetic...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

>>>> Hi, I'm an newbie and would like to know how to export tables from a live Oracle 8 DB. <<<<<<

If you want to export information from oracle to oracle, the export command is an option for you.

For instance, if you want to export the tables scott.account and scott.acount2, you can use:

exp system/manager file=sometables.dmp tables=scott.account, scott.account2 rows=y full=n

where :
    file - export dump file generated
    system - username
    manager - password
    tables - the list of tables to export
    rows - if you want to export the data (if not you'll export only tables' structure)
    full = n (full export?)

After that, when you want to import the data to the same or another Oracle database, you must use the import command.

For instance if you want to import these tables from the user scott to another account (schema) called scott2 in the same database, you can use this command:

imp system/manager file=sometables.dmp fromuser=scott touser=scott2

(Remember that the scott2 user must exists and have enought privileges to create/write tables).

Or let's imagine that you lost the information of the table account and you want to import this information in your database.

If the table account still created in our database, but it's empty you can use the command import, like:

imp system/manager file=sometables.dmp tables=account fromuser=scott touser=scott ignore=y
    (The ignore command will ignore that import cannot create create the table because it continues existing)

If you need more information about export and import you can use the option HELP=Y

exp help=y

>>>> We will probably end up configuring replication between the SQL server and the Oracle DB....since the website is already using a SQL DB. <<<<<<

If you want to share information between Oracle and SqlServer, even making join queries, you can use MsAccess. This tool can be used like a bridge using the option "File/Extern Data" you can get information of a lot databases using ODBC connections.

I think replication is not posible between Oracle and SqlServer,... May be using thirty part products. But if you want to use the web interface in order to insert/update/delete/select information from Oracle and SqlServer databases via ODBC you can use MsAccess. This will give you the facility to make "SELECT" queries getting information from tables of different databases.

I expect this information will be useful for you.

Regards