DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: when to use object ordbms features

when to use object ordbms features

hello

under what circumstances in real time application can we use the features of ORDBMS viz types, nested tables, object types, etc.
    how it is going to help us ie in improving the performance, storage space, etc.

can anyone clarify me on this.

thanks in advance
    regards
    rswamin

IMHO, you must be very carefull when using Object Relational features of Oracle, especially 8i. You want to make sure you test, test, and re-test your code. In addition, you want to perform extensive performance testing with these features as well. Sure, there's a place for Objects, but I don't recommend wide-spread use at this point.
    Jeff Hunter

I have tried using ORDBMS with Oracle8i, and burnt my hands. No flexibility at all and there is reasonable flexibility with Oracle9i and so we are not left with any option other than forcing ourselves to go Oracle 9i for all of our environments cuz, already the applications have been designed on ORDBMS features and we are having multiple issues dealing with this ORDBMS objects in distributed environment.

As Jeff suggested test, test and test.... and make decision... Not like our environment Architects make decisions with no DBAs involvement. True! We got to go with it Bad economy right...
    Reddy,Sam

Hi,
    As a Designer ( C++ oriented ) i would like to use this feature,
    as a DBA i konw that the object-features belongs to ths less tested
    code-areas in the oracle-rdbms!
    and that this implemtatition of oo in oracle is not as flexible as for example Samlltalk.
    you always have to recreate/recompile yource Types/Tables/Procs if
    you change the model ( adding/modifiying classes, Methods, memberdata).

Orca

hello
    thanks for your advice

but can you tell me some areas where exatly this ordbms stuff will be really useful. of course taking performance also into consideration.

thanks in advance

rswamin