DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Export error 00041

Question Export error 00041

Until 22/01/03, the database was 8.1.6. and it got upgraded to 8.1.7.4.1. on 23/01/03.(still on WindowsNT 4.0)

I tried to do an export for the first time since the upgrade and came across the following error:

Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production
    EXP-00041: Export done in server's WE8DEC, different from user's
    Character set WE8ISO8859P1
    EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

which I didn't have before. And I am aware that if I take direct=y off the exp parameter, the exp runs fine.

I have looked up in Metalink about this error, and most common solution is to make sure Server and Client (user) have the same character set. Rather unfortunately, I could not find any practical notes - i.e. with actual syntax of how to change the character set and what impact it might have.

I would appreciate if any of you could help me with the syntax to amend this error.

Cheers
    Fiona

In the database, look for the settings below:

select * from props$;
    nls_lang=american
    nls_territory=america
    nls_charaterset=we8dec

Then do
    on UNIX
    export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN.AMERICA.WE8DEC
    on NT
    set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN.AMERICA.WE8DEC

Then run the export

HTH
    Amar
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Smile

On Windows for the Oracle client, the current character set is stored in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE -> HOME in variable NLS_LANG.

By default is setup to american_america.WE8ISO8859P1 as you see from the export log file. Edit it and next time it will pick up this value.

Of course, you can overwrite it during import/export time for the client imp/exp executables by:

c:\>set nls_lang=american_america.utf8 (for instance)

Rearding the impact - the imp/exp utility will use the local NLS_LANG variable value to produce export dmp file or perform import. If different from the db CS - then you will have character set conversion. A very convenient way to change Oracle DB character set...

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Visit our Web Site

When the direct-path option is used, the client-side character set must match the character set of the server side. Use the environment variable NLS_LANG to set the same character set as the server one.