Export error 00041
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Export error 00041

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    London
    Posts
    83

    Question Export error 00041

    Until 22/01/03, the database was 8.1.6. and it got upgraded to 8.1.7.4.1. on 23/01/03.(still on WindowsNT 4.0)

    I tried to do an export for the first time since the upgrade and came across the following error:

    Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production
    EXP-00041: Export done in server's WE8DEC, different from user's
    Character set WE8ISO8859P1
    EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully


    which I didn't have before. And I am aware that if I take direct=y off the exp parameter, the exp runs fine.

    I have looked up in Metalink about this error, and most common solution is to make sure Server and Client (user) have the same character set. Rather unfortunately, I could not find any practical notes - i.e. with actual syntax of how to change the character set and what impact it might have.

    I would appreciate if any of you could help me with the syntax to amend this error.

    Cheers
    Fiona

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    1,796
    In the database, look for the settings below:

    select * from props$;
    nls_lang=american
    nls_territory=america
    nls_charaterset=we8dec

    Then do
    on UNIX
    export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN.AMERICA.WE8DEC
    on NT
    set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN.AMERICA.WE8DEC

    Then run the export

    HTH
    Amar
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

    Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    175

    Smile

    On Windows for the Oracle client, the current character set is stored in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE -> HOME in variable NLS_LANG.

    By default is setup to american_america.WE8ISO8859P1 as you see from the export log file. Edit it and next time it will pick up this value.

    Of course, you can overwrite it during import/export time for the client imp/exp executables by:

    c:\>set nls_lang=american_america.utf8 (for instance)

    Rearding the impact - the imp/exp utility will use the local NLS_LANG variable value to produce export dmp file or perform import. If different from the db CS - then you will have character set conversion. A very convenient way to change Oracle DB character set...


    Hope that helps,

    clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

    Visit our Web Site

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    7,448
    When the direct-path option is used, the client-side character set must match the character set of the server side. Use the environment variable NLS_LANG to set the same character set as the server one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width