DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PeopleSoft with RAC on Win2k

PeopleSoft with RAC on Win2k

Looking at implementing RAC with our PS Win2k env.

The problem begin that PS has alot if tablespaces and
    Windows 2000 will not allow us to create the necessary amount of RAW devices to support PeopleSoft. (No more then the number of letters in the alphabet). Our specific requirement would be for at least 80 raw devices to support the current env.

any suggestions and is my assumption about not being able to create the appropriate amount of raw devices correct?

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I understand RAW on Windows, you should be able create more raw partitions than there are available dirve letters.

If you have access to Metalink, check the Note:45967.1. Here is a quote from that document:

"Similarly to UNIX, each raw NT partition will be mapped to a single Oracle data, log or control file. Where NT differs from UNIX is the naming convention for these files. When referencing a raw partition in any Oracle SQL command, the syntax looks like this:

DATAFILE '\\.\f:' SIZE 49M REUSE

where f: is the drive letter assigned to the raw partition, referred to here as a logical raw file. Windows NT and Oracle also support physical raw files, with device names of the form:

\\.\PhysicalDriveN

where N is the number of the physical drive, as seen in Disk Administrator. Physical raw files would need to be used on a system with more drives than available drive letters for the desired number of raw partitions."
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?