DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: if you are Oracle DBA, what will be your next learning track?

Easy Ed

Someone might think there was a connection between your statement and your tag line ( Just kidding!)

Nick

Why learn anything new when COBOL is still alive and well?

Originally posted by stecal
    Why learn anything new when COBOL is still alive and well?
    Which is more than can be said for us old Cobolers.

Mind you many a true word... No matter how hard I've tried to keep away over the last 6 years, I keep ending up with at least some Cobol work!

Keeps me in beer tokens... Yes, sorry dear... I meant to say nice bottle of Chardonnay.

Nick

Originally posted by ngdh
    Mind you many a true word... No matter how hard I've tried to keep away over the last 6 years, I keep ending up with at least some Cobol work!

My condolenses....

Yes, sorry dear...
    ditto...
    Jeff Hunter

Hmmm... this is an interesting topic. I've been wondering what other technologies to try and get into in the future as well... and Since Nick has the COBOL and Patato Picking market monopoly, I'm going to have to think of something else.

I'm hoping (when) I pick up a new role in London, I'll be dealing with some new technologies, what that'll be I don't know. I would be interested in doing something with Peoplesoft or Oracle 11i or something... maybe some other DB technology, DB2 (or the other Nick Mentioned) and even SQL Server, just out of interest.

I was thinking about going on and Oracle Spatial course... but I've told my employer I'm leaving for the Motherland, so I don't think they'd be too keen to pay for it....
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by grjohnson
    ... Oracle 11i ...
    my condolenses...
    Jeff Hunter

Me wants to learn about OAS and Web Services.. while keep learning the core DBA things. There is no end to it..
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by marist89
    my condolenses...
    mine as well

However I am not sure what ERP is good, SAP is like crap0la as well, untunable.
    I remember couple of months back was in a customer, their have SAP R/3 and one day the CTO wasnt happy with one of batch processes which took too long, my company sent 4 SAP consultants trying to optimize the process, since they are SAPPERs they only know how to deal at SAP level, they spent 2 weeks and couldnt speedup the process, one of my collegues created an index in one of the tables and process ran in 2 minutes when it normally takes 6 hours, the CTO was so mad at these expensive SAP consultants

Which Learning track? Easy....

In light of Pando's last reply prehaps the best career path is a Oracle-SAP Hybrid of some description, although that sounds quite scary to me and probably a sin against nature
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I am planning on growing my hair, collecting tattoos and playing in a band. Too many IT'ers are singing the blues these days, I will be their messenger, their voice, it will be my cross to bear.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.