DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: move tablespace

move tablespace

I have a dictionnary tablespace, i have transform it to locally manage tablespace not uniform 2 month ago. I need to put it in 2 different tablespace with uniform extent. One with extent sized small and the other with big extent. I dont want to use exp/imp utility cuse of 24 hour environement. So i use the alter table move tablespace. But what can i do for package, procedure, type, sequence, other? How can i move them to another tablespace?

Re: move tablespace

Originally posted by steeve123
    But what can i do for package, procedure, type, sequence, other? How can i move them to another tablespace?

Hmm I think you have some concept problems here. Procedures, functions, packages, types, sequences are not segments, they are stored in data dictionary therefore they are stored in tablespace SYSTEM

Hi

well alter table move tablespace will not provide you with 24X7 tabel availability either...you will have downtime as users acessing this table will get an error like this

ERROR:
    ORA-01410: invalid ROWID

and the index will also have to be rebuilt.

regards
    Hrishy

I'm interested to know what has made you think you need to alter your extent settings now?

Originally posted by warrickj
    I'm interested to know what has made you think you need to alter your extent settings now?
    what he wants to do is seperate segments with different sizing strategy into seperate tablespaces, for example move 10GB tables to a 64MB extent tablespace and move 1MB table to 128K extent tablespaces

Exactly, and i had to move to localy managed tablespace cuse i had free space and i could not create table with initial of 64 m, now i want to put in uniform extents tablespaces, cuse i have small, medium and big extewnt in same tablespaces, and since i just got 2 brand new disk, i want to distribut io at the same time.

since i just got 2 brand new disk, i want to distribut io at the same time.
    Do you plan to place the datafiles of one tablespace on one disk and the files of the second tablespace on the second disk? I wouldn't do it this way. To spread the IO over the 2 disks it's probably better to distribute the datafiles of both of the tablespaces over the 2 new drives.

Mike