DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Access front end limits

Question Access front end limits

Hi every one,

I need to know the limits of an Access front end on an Oracle database. The number of user always grown for this application so the group wants to migrate the data on Oracle but keep the front end. I list a couple of problems with this solution but I still need more information on the secutity, if there is user collision problem or any other useful information.

If you had try this let me know. I think we should develop a new front end with forms, pb or jdeveloper because we have those expertise in our company. We don't have any Access expert in our company so we need to hire contractual for this. I expect futur problem to maintain this application and add new features in the futur. I don't want to support this!!!

I need good arguments to convince my team to go with another solution.

Help me!!
    DONTBSHY

I wold think that having to use ODBC to access the database would be a limitation. You would get better performance with a native Oracle driver. Also, Access is not very secure. Any of the languages that you mentioned would be much better than Access. The best thing I can say about Access for storing data is that it is better than Excel.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    Also, Access is not very secure.
    Can you give me details about this. If they ask me why Access is not very secure, I need details. I'm working on a prototype and I'm trying to generate security problem. If you have an exemple of a situation where Access has lack of security it can help me.

Thanks
    DONTBSHY

Most of the Access security is based on running code when the database opens that limits peoples ability to see information. It is possible to open up an Access database while holding the shift key, which prevents this code from running and then leaves the database wide open. Not to mention that it stores the passwords for any linked tables in the database. Once you get into Access without any "Access security" turned on you can delete or change any data. It should be obvious that the security of Oracle Forms, JBuilder or Power Builder will be better than Access because the connection to the database can be made if and only if the user enters a valid username and password, and that you will have better granularity on the security with a full fledged front end. You get what you pay for.

Thank you very much for your help...
    DONTBSHY

Your welcome. Good luck with your program.