DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster recovery plan

Disaster recovery plan

My boss ask for a disaster recovery plan. Every time we are down or have an error, i deal with it on the spot and i solve the problem usely fast(thanks to meta-link and dbasupport!!).

I search a lot on this subject, and people are saying how to do one, but there is no example. I never see how a disaster recovery plan is suppose to look like. Does anyone have an example, or do not mind showing there plan? I became the dba here (without certification, will take exam this year),reading lots a books and checking web site regulary like this one.

We have 7 database on 3 windows nt platform, we have oracle 8i, we do hot backup all week and friday night cold backup. We need max 2 hour down time.

Every time we have a case where we need to deal with a ora- error, i put it in our recovery plan that i started 3 month ago. like ORA-01034, TNS-12541. We take tape backup every night and keep a tape per month.

We are a small company with 12 programmors on forms/reports. Like i said when we have problem with the database, i solve the problem, but we need to start building documentation, so that when we have a realy small problem, im not the only one that could resolve it.

I would like to suggest you to have a standby database, so in case of database crash you will have second database readily available, this will save your database restore time.

As you have started documentation, it will be nice to document few more things like database recovery, hot-cold backups, or simple imp/export examples, which are quite useful to developers, so that in your absence they can perform basic tasks

HTH

Sameer

Thx for the reply, we have batch file with exp/imp for the developers, we have also no documentation for our backup strategy, but i have documentation on when developper drop or delete object by error, on how to restored them with imp utility, we take full export every week.

So back to my original question, anyone have a recovery plan?

Recovery plan, sure. A Comprehensive Disaster Recovery Plan? That's a little more extensive. A lot depends on your facilities, your budget, your technical expertise, the needs of the business, etc.
    Jeff Hunter

What would help you and others is to create a notebook filled with "emergency" procedures. You can cover all the different types of failure scenarios related to Oracle files (log file, data file, control files, etc.). You can cover the commands to move a datafile, rename a file, etc.

Ideally, the notebook would provide step-by-step backup and recovery instructions for the non-DBA (but familiar with Oracle), not go into a lot of detail, and provide references in case more information is needed (bookmarked MetaLink Notes are good for that). That's what I would do and am working on.

So back to my original question, anyone have a recovery plan?

So that goes to my original answer...

Originally posted by marist89
    Recovery plan, sure. A Comprehensive Disaster Recovery Plan? That's a little more extensive. A lot depends on your facilities, your budget, your technical expertise, the needs of the business, etc.
    Jeff Hunter

I want to see a "disaster and recover plan", if you have one and dont mind posting it here, plz do.

Again, i dont care about "how to do one", i read a lot on the subject, i just want to see one.

hmm you must be kidding huh, I saw once a disaster recovery plan, a 150MB doc in mirosoft word, powerpoint and excel, if someone has to post that ina forum I would ask the owner first!