DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Db Conf Assistant error while installing on Linux

Db Conf Assistant error while installing on Linux

Hello everyone, I get the following error at the end of 9i installation, when the different tools are being started. The tool in question is the Database Configuaration Assistant, which fails during the "Creating and starting Oracle instance". I get the message "ORA-27123: unable to attach to shared memory segment". The error messages book says the following about error 27123:

Cause: SHMAT() call failed.
    Action: Check permissions on segment, contact Oracle Services.

I am not sure if the oracle account under which I am installing 9i has the right credentials, how can I check that? The problem might be something else though. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Thanks,
    Afshin.

OS ?? Refer to Installation Odcs for Kernel Parameters.
    The user under which you are installing must be member of dba (Linux, *nix) group, or oradba group (WIN).
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Thanks for your response. I have added the oracle account to the groups you mentioned and I still get the same error. I am looking into the vendors info on SHMAT at the moment.

I have been away from Oracle for a couple of years, there used to be a site that was run by oracle and it was basically linked to their tech support database. I used to go there and enter the error number and it would bring up multiple entries of people with the same problem and OTS's directions on fixing the problem. Anyone know that site? Could you please tell me what site it is? Thank you.
    Thanks,
    Afshin.