DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database striping !!!

Wink Database striping !!!

Hello,
    When it comes to DB performances ,DISK I/O can become easily bottleneck . One of the solution may
    be DATA STRIPING or striping of USER DATA TABLE SPACE .This can be done by striping manually tables across the disks or RAID 0/1 .
    Can you add some words of your configuration or HOW you can tackle DISK I/O contetion ?

Pl. note that I am assuming that other considerations like sufficient MEMORY allocation and separate TABLESPACES and separate DISKS ( for TEMPORARY , INDEX , UNDO LOGS, REDO LOGS , SYSTEM , TOOLS , ARCHIEVE data ) is available .

The problem is only with users DATA performance because of disk I/O contetion and seeking for any HARDWARE solutions /configurations like SAN , RAID etc. you tried.

Thanks,

Sunil

Here's a good resource.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Here's another take on I/O and Oracle... http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/per...orage_conf.pdf
    Jeff Hunter

one of my personal favorites, be prepared to do some reading here but the opinions/ffedback in the thread warrant a careful read.

groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF 8&threadm=ue4sg0gm4fdbdc%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=191&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dseparate%2Bindex%2Bdata%2Btablespace%26start%3D190%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Due4sg0gm4fdbdc%2540corp.supernews.com%26rnum%3D19

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

The LINKS given by Jeff Hunter and slimdave are pretty good to focus on I/O sub-system and RAID 0/1 .

Any links about I/O and SAN will be appreciated.

Sunil

Conceptually, a SAN is no different than a SCSI device except you can pump your data much faster. The limiting factor (as far as I/O is concerned anyway) will be the speed of the physical disk.
    Jeff Hunter