DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help!!!

Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

We have OLTP Database as we have to much of Query Hits we want to separate the OLTP Database
    Can you please let me know which will BEST Serve our Purpose without degrading the Performance of the Currently running database.

1. Setting up Selective Snapshot Replication (Well we dont know whether we could do a Selective(Replicating 2 columns out of Ten and with Conditions) one Any Example will be highly Appreciated)

2. Stand-By Database

Any Input will be highly appreciated
    Last edited by shan_02; 01-03-2003 at 04:10 PM.
    Thanks,
    -shan

It depends on how big your server is. If not being done already, you might want to gather performance stats via utlbstat/estat,statpact etc., in order to determine memory, i/o, CPU reguirements. IF you plan to have multiple databases on a machine, all requirements must be met in order to acquire acceptable performance.
    --------------------------------------
    It's not what the world does to you that matters. It's how you respond...

Re: Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

Originally posted by shan_02
    We have OLTP Database as we have to much of Query Hits we want to separate the OLTP Database
    Can you please let me know which will BEST Serve our Purpose without degrading the Performance of the Currently running database.

1. Setting up Selective Snapshot Replication (Well we dont know whether we could do a Selective(Replicating 2 columns out of Ten and with Conditions) one Any Example will be highly Appreciated)

2. Stand-By Database

It is upto you to decide as to what exactly to be performed.

ok.

If you think your OLTP database requires performance wise null proof then, your choices:

Whether it is replication or the standby database the preformance needs the attention since both are required database monitoring > Performance is the bottleneck for either of them.

come out exactly what is supposed to be done at your site's database.

VAST

Why dont you store the OLTP datafiles into different disks, in order to achieve optimum IO performance. Also you can pin commonly used statements into shared pool. Check your memory settings like hit and miss ratios. Make sure that the applications are passing identical sql statements, or else consider settings cursor_sharing=force. These are few tips you should try in order to improve the performace before jumping into complex settings like stand-by server or replication.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Re: Re: Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

Originally posted by vastdba
    It is upto you to decide as to what exactly to be performed.

ok.

If you think your OLTP database requires performance wise null proof then, your choices:

Whether it is replication or the standby database the preformance needs the attention since both are required database monitoring > Performance is the bottleneck for either of them.

come out exactly what is supposed to be done at your site's database.

VAST
    I really can't understand what do you want to suggest, after reading the lines few times. Will you elaborate further please?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Re: Re: Re: Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    Will you elaborate further please?
    Or better yet, DON'T!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Re: Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

Originally posted by shan_02

2. Stand-By Database

Hi
    you said you have OLTP database and you want to seperate OLTP database.
    Just curious how u want to seperate OLTP from OLTP. Or is it something else that you want. Please specify..

Regards
    Amar
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Snapshot Replication Vs Stand-By Databases

Originally posted by jmodic
    Or better yet, DON'T!
    LOL
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"