DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assess Issues

Assess Issues

Hi there,

I'm very new to Oracle. I installed Oracle8i Personal on my computer just to try to practice using it. During the installation process, I asked to create a sample database, however, I cannot access it. I try my user name ans password and I can't access anything. I also installed the client on the same machine but I don't know how to identify its Program Group.

Can someone help me. I know it's extremely basic for most of you but, hey, one must begin at the beginning of things.

You can email me at arie01@hotmail.com

Thank you,
    Arie.

Run the net8 configuration assistant to set up the connection to the database. Or modify the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora file under ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory. You should read the installation guide. You can find all oracle related documentation under otn.oracle.com

Post the error and the user with you have problems to connect

set ORACLE_SID as an environment variable

then sqlplus user/pass (without the @sid_name bit)

Assess Issues

Provided after successful installation; Net8 , Tnsnames, Listener Host string etc everything connected.

At the time of installation whether all the packages CAT**** were executed at the server, since you have created the sample database then only access will be done.
    Registry chekup in windows environment.
    In Unix flavour, Export the Profile paths etc.( wonder any chance to create a sample database Here).

check out all the possible rules pertained to the database.

VAST

At the time of installation whether all the packages CAT**** were executed at the server, since you have created the sample database then only access will be done.

In Unix flavour, Export the Profile paths etc.( wonder any chance to create a sample database Here).

VastDBA, please check the question, he says it is PERSONAL ORACLE on HIS pc. So how on the earth you are taking him to Unix flavor, export profile bla bla bla.........?
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Originally posted by agasimani

VastDBA, please check the question, he says it is PERSONAL ORACLE on HIS pc. So how on the earth you are taking him to Unix flavor, export profile bla bla bla.........?

Offcourse! But it will be informative since he said it's new to Him.

VAST

In support of Agasimani, I don't think it's appropiate for vastdba to confuse the user with DBA jargons not relevant to the question he asked. You're completely out of line here. This is a simple connection problem on Personal Edition Installation. Where did you get Unix from.......

Arie01, post the error for clarification.

Originally posted by roman33
    In support of Agasimani, I don't think it's appropiate for vastdba to confuse the user with DBA jargons not relevant to the question he asked. You're completely out of line here. This is a simple connection problem on Personal Edition Installation. Where did you get Unix from.......

Arie01, post the error for clarification.

Its not the meaning that supporting the person as we are all here supporting the query based support. Under any circumstances I haven't used unauthorised comments. Nevertheless shared my knowledge and no one can claim any further comments in this regard and I sincerely wish junior to senior most here are EXCHANGING PLEASANTLY MADE ANWSERS TO ALL THE PARTICIPANTS.

Hope this would be clear cut message to all.

Good Freinds keep it up.

VASTDBA

Its not the meaning that supporting the person as we are all here supporting the query based support. Under any circumstances I haven't used unauthorised comments. Nevertheless shared my knowledge and no one can claim any further comments in this regard and I sincerely wish junior to senior most here are EXCHANGING PLEASANTLY MADE ANWSERS TO ALL THE PARTICIPANTS.

Words Words & Only Words

Please stop confusing people.

Regards
    viraj
    -------
    9i OCA
    A Wise Man Knows How much he doesn't know !!!