DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RAM size for a 500gb data warehouse db

RAM size for a 500gb data warehouse db

Can anyone tell me if an ibm server runing aix 32 bit with a 3 gig RAM(max) be sufficient for a 500 gb oracle db having 50 concurrent users in a data warehouse environment ? Any suggestions on how much min RAM is required for this kind of environment so that it doesn't become bottle neck.

You can't really corelate the size of database and required SGA. It depends on what and how many transactions you are going to have? How much of PL/SQL coding your application has etc. A good starting point will be to allocate 40-50% of available RAM for SGA and later fine tune it.

HTH
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

3Gb sounds like a workable amount, but if this is a new hardware purchase make sure that is is expanable to more.

More important than the memory will be the disks, I would think. Lots of small disks in big arrays with fast controllers are required
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Hi slimdave it is a new hardware purchase and the hardware we have can go upto 3gig RAM max. Do you think it can be workable for 50 concurrent users and a lot of ad-hoc queries as in a datawarehouse environment. We are in a very early stage of design and cannot give more specifics(as how much pl/sql etc) but have to make a decision as of now if we need to buy new hardware or can manage with the current hardware with 3 gig RAM ? Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm guessing that you will be very light on PL/SQL, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I would be happier with more memory than 3Gb, and certainly would not go for hardware that won't expand beyond that -- if there is one thing that is certain it's that a successful DW project is going to start attracting more users, and needing bigger hardware.

I sympathise with your position, because it's very tough to size these things. Have you tried asking IBM and Oracle for their own recommendations, based on existing customer usage? What are your plans for disks?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Thanks. I just wanted to know if someone is in a similar environment and have drastic performance problems and would recommend not to accept the hardware configuaration to even start out with. We have plans to eventually move to a new box once the DW is very active and have more users. I think your answer is what I expected and also oracle recommends the same. Thanks.