Originally posted by quester
First of all thanks for all the responses. I am clear that the First point is right and SYBEX has made a mistake either "theoritically" or "English Language Based".

..Well.. again, you see you may derive your own way of understanding things to benefit your convinience of notions. But 'ENGLISH' remains the same. A statement of meaning can only be precise..it cannot be "Subjective" left to the imaginations of the reader. A "technical statement" ought to be precise and not poetry. I hope you will agree.

Your words of "Allows" and "Requires" are your imaginations to suit your notion, it has no bearing on what SYBEX has said as "A checkpoint occurs when the dirty buffers are written to the disk" . To me, I am in no-way supportive to this statement of SYBEX, regardless of how one would want to interpret based on their convinences. In My Honest Opinion, it's a GROSS MISTAKE on SYBEX's part of either "understanding the concepts" or "English Usage". Period.
Irrespective of what the SYBEX is saying is not to our discomfiture.
Nevertheless whatever database might be it is all for the sole reason of basic nomenclature and same can be construed for all databases as ORACLE being one of them.

It is very interesting and misleading when the AUTHOR of this query poser mentioned the misleading factor of Checkpoint behaviour.

Perhaps there should be misconstrued by readers and the same can be interpreted.

Anyhow very nice discussion and good understanding

VAST