DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doubts on Oracle v8i/9i live case scenarios!

Doubts on Oracle v8i/9i live case scenarios!

Hi all!

Working on Oracle v8i/v9i with OS as Sun Solaris v8.0/Unix/NT.

I have not encountered these case scenarios in my work profile.

Could anyone please throw some light on the below mentioned case studies:

1.Could Role name be the same as Schema Name.
    2.If all the DB background Processes are killed,what happens to the DB and how the
    killed background processes are recovered to resume working norma as before.
    3.What is the Purpose and contents of CORE_DUMP_DEST Folder.Why is it used and for what purpose.
    4.What do we mean by Fine Grained Access Control in oracle v9i.How do we set it.
    An example on this issue would be appreciated.I have these few doubts after reading Oracle Documentation.
    5.When Hot Backup is in Progress,are records insertable.Is it advised to do so.What are the pros and cons for it.What I believe is Hot backup should be done only when there is least
    DB Activities.Please correct me If I am wrong...
    6.Which one should be treated to be tuned first from performance Point
    of view:Cache Hit Ratio or I/O Contention.
    7.Is TKPROF a DB utility or OS Utility.
    8.Are UNIX kernel Parameters set by DBAs or Unix Sys Admins.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Amit.
    Oracle DBA (OCP) v8i,v9i

1. Why not?
    2. What is instance recovery? That's a failure scenario you must know about being an OCP DBA. SMON, PMON, roll forward-roll back?
    3. A place to direct core dumps to. A place with enough disk space to hold a core dump.
    4. FGAC is like restricting rows in a table. All managers can access the employee table, but you want to only let them see their employees. FGAC would use a where clause that restricts which rows a manager could see (where manager_id = my_id).
    5. Does a hot backup restrict database activity? If it did, then why not simply do a cold backup? Do a hot backup during periods of low activity.
    6. Having passed the OCP exam, you must be aware of the steps in Oracle's tuning methodology, and would therefore know where these items are in the list/order.
    7. Again, being an OCP, you surely must be aware of this answer.
    8. Yes.

Hi Stecal!

Hi Stecal!

Thanks for your efforts and time.

But I have doubts for the following:

1.Regarding Role Name and schema name being the same,when I tried to create them through Sql*Plus,Oracle threw error:Role name conflicts with another user name or Role name.

But you say they could be the same.This is sounding confusing to me as I have never encountered such a scenario.Could you please explain how role name and schema name could be the same.

2.Could we define DBMS_RLS.CREATE_POLICY_GROUP in order to create security Policy to restrict rows in a Table.Please correct me If I am wrong.

3.While inserting rows when Hot Backup is in Progress,as per Oracle Documentation lots of redos gets generated.This could be a performance degradation.Isn't it!I agree for a 24x7 DB,we cannot shut down the DB.So Slight performance degradation is unavoidable.

As I have not encountered such a situatin in my work profile,wanted to share idea.Do you agree with my point here.

Thanks a lot stecal for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Amit.
    Oracle DBA (OCP) v8i,v9i

ok what's wrong with trying this for yourself anyway?

SQL> create user st identified by st;

User created.

SQL> create role st;
    create role st
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01921: role name 'ST' conflicts with another user or role name

so the answer is no, you cannot have a the a user/role with the same name
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Amit, I am wondering how you passed OCP? These are the questions which you were supposed to answer in your exam. Moreover being an OCP you can try yourself all these scenarios, like the first(1) one. God save the REAL DBAs.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

It is not so good idea to critisize someone who is asking questions for any reasone whether they are OCP or NON OCPs.
    So we all should be honest about everybody's else's queries.

Any way God is not going to come and save So called DBAs One DBA will be helpled by others only.

Shall we say that Oracle Certification has nothing to do with Practical experties of Real DBAs.

Here I am confused like Mr Amitstora on how transactions are still written to datafile event though put in Backup mode ? Once I have asked this question in Detail but everyone given theorotical answers.

Regards
    viraj
    ---------------------
    9i OCA
    A Wise Man Knows How much he doesn't know !!!

Originally posted by virajvk
    Here I am confused like Mr Amitstora on how transactions are still written to datafile event though put in Backup mode ? Once I have asked this question in Detail but everyone given theorotical answers.
    well this is concepts, Oracle always writes dirty blocks if needed during database operation no matter it's in hotbackup mode or not

OCP was suppose to mean "this guy has knowledge to do his job" but no longer, it's true the forum is used to help each other but seems like many who comes here only needs help from a few of us and never ever help others, no contribution whatsoever, not worthy

many just want to seek help without first read the doc or try the stuff himself and that is why he gets the answers he gets, what he deserves
    Last edited by pando; 12-30-2002 at 04:59 AM.

And more ever i would like to add that if a person has cleared OCP and asks such questions then whats the value of giving an OCP.

An OCP is one who is supposed to answer such questions not ask such questions. And because of some people who just mug up and manage to clear OCP, value of OCP is going down.

And thats the main reason behind the necessity to attend the hands on classes for Oracle 9i OCP.

Please keep the value for OCP and dont let it be any body's job to cear it. If u r an OCP then be a good OCP. Those who have earned it the hard way do feel cheated.

Regards
    Amar
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Dear sir ,
    Thanks for that answer.

I agree to you but does critisizing solve the problems ?
    OR why dont you Guide all the site-users about ur STANDARD CODE OF CONDUCT which helps them to get most out of this site.
    Regards
    viraj
    ---------
    9i OCA
    A Wise Man Knows How much he doesn't know !!!

Doubts on Oracle v8i/9i live case scenarios!

Originally posted by adewri
    And more ever i would like to add that if a person has cleared OCP and asks such questions then whats the value of giving an OCP.

An OCP is one who is supposed to answer such questions not ask such questions. And because of some people who just mug up and manage to clear OCP, value of OCP is going down.

And thats the main reason behind the necessity to attend the hands on classes for Oracle 9i OCP.

Please keep the value for OCP and dont let it be any body's job to cear it. If u r an OCP then be a good OCP. Those who have earned it the hard way do feel cheated.

Regards
    Amar
    Indeed I have learned from here something regarding the ORACLE as well as GRADES the DBA'S

VAST