DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: too many archive processes?

too many archive processes?

Is there any side effect if I have too many archive processes running?

If I understand correctly, if one archive process for some reason failed to archive a log, another one will take over. That is what I've observed in the alert log.

Thanks,

If u are running to many archive process then there will be more load on system.In fact u should have more redo groups so that when archiving the redo it has got enough time between log switch.
    Saurabh Garg
    OCP 9i

Hi,

The meaning for the PROCESSES is that to manage them in the backyard of the database to the client requests. But too many processes will leads to overburden the system resources. Dynamically we can limit them to certain numbers.
    The beauty of the ARCH processes are they were friendly in one stumbled the other will wake It up. so it is the prerogative of the DBA to look into how many processes are required number.
    It mainly depends on the number transactions that are taking place and restricting the other processes to limit to size to distribute the database.

Count the number of users to the database and calculate the transaction rate at which is generating. No Cache problem extracting and sent back will have relaxed chair for DBA.

Hope give you good progress further

VAST

Thanks for the explanations.

However, the reason I want to have more ARCH processes is because my DB freezes in random and I stronly suspect it's because the DB used to have only one ARCH process. If the ARCH hangs, the DB freezes. As for why the ARCH hangs, I suspect it's because every 20 minutes I have a script to copy archived logs from this DB server to its standby DB server and if the script is copying while the ARCH process is trying to write to the same archived log, it may cause the ARCH process to hang. The DB is on Win2k platform and I believe Win2k applications often lock a file while it's using it... Oracle's listener log file is a good example: if I try to rename the listener's log file while the listener process is running, it will complain I can't do that because it's locked by the listener.

Does it make sense to you? Any suggestions on transporting archived logs from one server to another? I currently use XCOPY /D to copy new archived logs.

Appreciated!

why dont you copy everything but the lastest log then? At least you know you wont be copying the log which is being written to nad you can see if the problem still occurs

davey23uk,

I was thinking about that. However, XCOPY is really nice in the way that it will copy all files that have not been copied over. But it can't do as you said (all new files except the latset one). I am thinking about writing a Perl script to accomplish that. Before I dig into it, is there an easier way to achieve that?

Thanks,

There is no need to copy archived redo logs across machines, if you run standby database Oracle can transfer archived redo logs automatically and standby database will apply them automatically as well.
    If you are talking about multiple ARCH processes, how many of them do you start up, how many online redo log groups do you have, how many members in each redo log group do you have? I usually use 2 ARCH processes and do not see any reasons for my database to use more.
    Database freezes probably becasue something wrong with number of groups or its members -> Oracle has to archive online redo log before rewrite it, so if you have only one group Oracle will apply no transactions during archiving process.
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

Originally posted by kgb
    I usually use 2 ARCH processes and do not see any reasons for my database to use more.
    Remark: Starting 9iR2 the default number of ARCH processes is 2. It used to be 1 before. FYIO.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by a128
    Thanks for the explanations.

However, the reason I want to have more ARCH processes is because my DB freezes in random and I stronly suspect it's because the DB used to have only one ARCH process. If the ARCH hangs, the DB freezes. As for why the ARCH hangs, I suspect it's because every 20 minutes I have a script to copy archived logs from this DB server to its standby DB server and if the script is copying while the ARCH process is trying to write to the same archived log, it may cause the ARCH process to hang. The DB is on Win2k platform and I believe Win2k applications often lock a file while it's using it... Oracle's listener log file is a good example: if I try to rename the listener's log file while the listener process is running, it will complain I can't do that because it's locked by the listener.

Does it make sense to you? Any suggestions on transporting archived logs from one server to another? I currently use XCOPY /D to copy new archived logs.

Appreciated!

I have narrated the reasons on the basis of 8i version not really thinking into 9i version since the author is not stressing on the version.

Anyhow gotta answer using the 9i version.
    But it remains same as it is residing in the 8i version(8.1.7).

Good discussion

VAST