DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i Incomplete Recovery

Arrow 9i Incomplete Recovery

Hot backup of database has been done using alter tablespace begin backup command & then physically moving the file to backup folder & the runing alter tablespace end backup.
    I want to recover the database to specified time in the past.STEPS THAT I FOLLOW ON WINDOWS200 Opearting system are-
    1.shutdown the databse.
    2.clear all datafiles from database & copy back up copies of all datafiles to database.
    3.mount the database.
    4.recover database using backup controlefile until time'22-dec-2002 15:00:00'
    this command runs but when you proceed futher it gives error like the system file is not in consistent and would require more consistent recovery.??
    please suggest what is that i am doing wrong.

Do you have all the log files to recover database until '22-dec-2002 15:00:00'.. Its always better to checkpoint datafiles before and after completion of tablespace backup to avoid such errors..
    Last edited by Sameer; 12-23-2002 at 08:17 AM.

have you lost everything? including controfiles and redo logs?

9i recovery

yes i have all log file.it is only some work done recently we don't want.that was reason of backup to specified time.

As you mentioned in your post,What do you mean by "When you proceed further"?
    Do you get the error before aplying any redologs or after applying redologs till the time you specified or when you try to open the database with resetlogs.

Thanks to all of you.I got it fixed.Let me share with you.The last archive log was timed 16:41:00 hours.when i used the command 'Recover database using backup controfile until time '22-dec-2002 16:41:00' it was giving error.but when i changed the time as-
    22-dec-2002 16:41:05' it worked without any error.

Sameer is right.
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998