DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Listener Problem

Listener Problem

Hi ,
    I am getting following error when I try to config Net8 in 9i .
    Can any one help? Why the Listener has n't been started ?

Initializing first test to use userid: scott, password: tiger
    Attempting to connect using userid: scott
    The test did not succeed.
    ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

LISTENER.ORA
    ==============

LISTDWHG =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.16.4.155)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTDWHG =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = DWHG.WORLD)
    (ORACLE_HOME = d:\ora9i)
    (SID_NAME = DWHG)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = d:\ora9i)
    )

TNSNAMES.ORA
    ===============
    DWHGORA.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.16.4.155)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = DWHG)
    )
    )

SQLNET.ORA
    ===============

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
    SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 0

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD
    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME)
    Prasad

Did you do lsnrctl start??

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

The commands start, stop, and status from the lsnrctl command line assume the default name of "listener". In your case, the listener name is "LISTDWHG ".

Try this

> lsnrctl

lsnrctl> start LISTDWHG

followed by

lsnrctl> status LISTDWHG
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Raminder,

I have tried already. But I couldn't get the solution.

Thanx
    Prasad

Prasad:

After u giv

Lsnrctl>Start

Check in SERVICES if its started or if its stopping due previlages(I mean Local System Previlage to start a service).

Abhay.

Ok. Your listener name is not listener. Do as suggested by the knight (in shining...you know what)

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

In init.ora add an entry, local_listenenr if LISTENER is not the name, you used.

Aside from other problems you are going to face, is d:\ora9i the path to ORACLE_HOME? Or is it more like d:\ora9i\oracle?

Is your host IP address correct? Can you ping that address?

Have you tried using an assistant? Or do you want to keep trying this by hand?

Other Info:

sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora file relationship

The NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH parameter in sqlnet.ora can be commented out (or not even included) because the order shown below is the default search order for names resolution in Net8 (Oracle Net for 9i).

The service name equals the instance name + the default domain. If you are trying to connect to an instance running on your machine, you don't need to have the listener running. Net8 spawns a bequeath session, which is the same as a dedicated server process. You DO need to have the ORACLE_SID environment variable set to the name of the database on your machine you are trying to connect to. If you set the NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN parameter in sqlnet.ora (e.g., company.com), then Oracle will append company.com to the net service name in the connect string (the net service name is the name following the @ sign). After that, Oracle will look for an address of name_you_used.company.com. If your database names are not named that way in the tnsnames.ora file, you will see a TNS- or ORA-12154 error ("could not resolve service name"). Other errors are possible too.

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, ONAMES, HOSTNAME)

If you are using NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN, the value should match the domain name of your local environment. For example, assume your domain name is company.com. A fully qualified net service name for a database named kfm would be kfm.company.com. If you are connecting remotely (and you can do this on the server by going thru the
    network), the connect descriptor is username/password@kfm. What Oracle Net8 does is take "kfm" and add the value for NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN to it (i.e., kfm.company.com) and then looks for an entry of kfm.company.com in your tnsnames.ora file. If Net8 does not see kfm.company.com in the file, you get an error.

If you don't use a default domain name, leave that parameter commented out or just delete the line in sqlnet.ora. That way, when you use username/password@kfm, Net8 simply looks for a stanza begining with "kfm" in the tnsnames.ora file.

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = company.com

Note: If you are using the Database Configuration Assistant (usually see this when installing the RDBMS software at the point where the seed database is created), don't use a hyphen in the domain name because the assistant won't recognize a hyphen as a valid character. You can go back later and manually edit sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora
    to add the hyphen in the domain name.

Don't even bother using "WORLD" as a default_domain name. Get rid of it. Don't need it.
    Last edited by stecal; 12-26-2002 at 04:52 PM.