DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition of an Oracle DBA?

to be honest I dont know how you define a DBA now days, seems to many developers/analysts a DBA must know everything about Oracle, to management a DBA is just someone which looks useless and costs too much money

cheer up pando :-)
    they cant survive without us...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by pando
    to management a DBA is just someone which looks useless and costs too much money
    May be its because now a days many of them states them as DBA without *really* understanding a term DBA which is quite broad in itself.. its like doing OCP as one of the academic career..

Originally posted by Sameer
    May be its because now a days many of them states them as DBA without *really* understanding a term DBA which is quite broad in itself.. its like doing OCP as one of the academic career..
    I agree but may be the market demand caused this in the last couple of years

Originally posted by pando
    I agree but may be the market demand caused this in the last couple of years
    and thus ended up introducing new terms in the market as Senior/Junior DBA or Database operator

Originally posted by Sameer
    and thus ended up introducing new terms in the market as Senior/Junior DBA or Database operator
    I never really understood what a Database operator means, what is his job? what's the difference between a database operator and a database administrator, when someone mentions database operator to me the first thing i can think of is a Data Entry guy (no offense).

for instance if a guy plans a backup strategy, and writes the scripts he's a database administrator, but if a guy's role is to only make sure that backups are taken correctly, and that backups made are valid he's a Junior Database Administrator, i'd never call him a database operator.

Cheers.

Re prseidents and vice-presidents, if one idiot has prior experience of being an idiot, and the other idiot is new to idioting, does that affect who is the bigger idiot?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Hi,
    what do you mean with DBA?
    either

Code:
      Database Administrator ??
    OR

Code:
      Database Assistant ??
    I want to know it, i cannot sleep anymore!!!

Orca
    ;;;;;;--------------)))))))))))))))

Craig s mullins has written an excellent book about who or wjhat is a dba check out an excerpt...
    http://www.dbazine.com/dba_1.html

I personally think that being dba is entirely upto you. Some dba's can make developers sh*t and others can give it a rahter bad name by like pando said someone who does nothing and costs money.
    Well you gotta show all what you can do , but it's also dependent upon how is it politically allowed within your environment without burning edges here and there.

Example:
    When i joined this firm the db's were running on no arch log mode with no record of backups anywhere. Well that was being done by a dba who was doing it remotely by a "hi-fi oracle partner" shop. I'd say you had a peasant sitting on the throne.

Such retards make a dba job look so darn easy and then they get fired/ or leave and the next dba(who'd do a great job) can clean up his trash and be treated like trash.

So be a dba or don't, don't just mess around with the job profile, the reverberations(good and bad) go beyond your imaginations.

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Maybe we need a new thread about crap DBA's.

Another Example:

I interviewed an applicant who listed their current job as DBA, but he did not know whether his databases were running CBO or RBO, and the backup recovery strategy was a nightly full export. H'mmm. Tough choice to make there.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE