DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do i change defualt database when we have mor than 1 database on a server.

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Run REGEDIT

Gp to the path

My Comp>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>ORACLE>HOME

Change the ORACLE_SID.....

Abhay.
    Would you edit registry every time you need to switch between instances?
    The proper way is to set the environment variable as some people have suggested either on command prompt or in system propeties.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Thanks All,

I wasnt knowing if i could set in environmental variables and it would override the reg values.....

Yes seting Oracle_SID in Envi variables is a much better idea then changing in Registry...

Abhay.

Originally posted by stecal
    What is it with people wanting to directly edit the registry? Does any Oracle manual tell you to explicitly edit registry values?
    But of course they do! You'll find instructions of how (and when) to modify Oracle related parameters in registry in (almost) every Oracle manual that is related to MS Windows environment.

I'm not saying that changing each end every environment variable in registry is the way to go, after all that's what user environment variables (as opposed to system environment variables) are for, but sometimes you simply have to edit the registry. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what to change and where to change in the registry. After all, that's why GUI interfaces for modifying the registry were made available to users....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    But of course they do! You'll find instructions of how (and when) to modify Oracle related parameters in registry in (almost) every Oracle manual that is related to MS Windows environment.

I agree......as long as we know wat we are doing....we can go ahead and make chages in registry

The docs (and some notes on MetaLink) do refer to using the registry, but not for "normal" operations, and I have mentioned this in previous postings. To simply change the SID, it is a bad practice IMHO. You can also remove permissions from people via the registry. But for simply changing the SID? No.

From the Windows install guide:

Removing Oracle Keys From the Registry on Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP

In rare situations, you may want to correct serious system problems by completely removing Oracle components from the computer.

Remove all Oracle components from your computer only as a last resort, and only if you want to remove all Oracle components from your system.

Oracle Universal Installer does not delete services created by Oracle Net Configuration Assistant, OiD Configuration Assistant, and Database Configuration Assistant. In addition, several other registry keys are not deleted.

Note:
    You can also use the ORADIM utility to manually deinstall an instance and services. See "Postinstallation Database Creation" of Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide for Windows.

Caution:
    Use Microsoft Registry Editor at your own risk. Incorrect usage of Registry Editor can cause serious problems and may require reinstallation of your operating system.

Re: How do i change defualt database when we have mor than 1 database on a server.

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Hi,

i have say N databases on the server.The 1st database while creation is taken defualt as this is registered first in REGISTRY.

How do i change this to the new database name in registry so that i can use this as my defualt database.

All i know is i have to change ORACLE_SID parameter in Registy.....but dunno the path....
    Can any 1 help ??????

Regards
    Abhay.
    I agree......as long as we know wat we are doing....we can go ahead and make chages in registry
    And from another post of yours:

DaPi :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ORACLEORAHOME81TNSLISTENERABHAY

Is this the entry that i have to delete if i want to get rid of the Service OracleOraHome81TNSListenerAbhay ???????

Abhay.
    Does this sound like you know what you are doing? Doesn't sound like it to me.
    Last edited by stecal; 12-23-2002 at 10:00 AM.

Re: Re: How do i change defualt database when we have mor than 1 database on a server.

Originally posted by stecal
    And from another post of yours:

Does this sound like you know what you are doing? Doesn't sound like it to me.
    Path is Go to registry....

My Comp>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>ORACLE>HOME

well actually i have 2 versions of oracle running on my machine....
    so i have hom0 and hom1.versions are 8.x and 9.x

In 9.x , in the path specified u dont have entry Oracle_SID, u have to create a string with name ORACLE_SID and enter the data(database name), in 8.x u have defualty the string, all u have to do is edit the data to change defualt database.

i dunno y 9.x dosent hav an entry as such....
    I did make the changes said above.....
    and yes i was able to switch the defualt databases...
    Abhay.