DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Enterprise Manager

Oracle Enterprise Manager

When connecting to the Oracle DBA studio in standalone mode I reeive the following message below. I have tried to add a database manually with Hostname MY_PC, Port Number 1521, SID Little, Net service name of Little or Little.world.

error Message
    Oracle Enterprise Manager
    Failed to parse tnsnames.ora file
    Error: 100 -- NLNV-NLNV String Format Error

My TNSNAMES Entry is as follows:-

LITTLE=
    (DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=TCP) (HOST=MY_PC) (PORT=1521))
    (CONNECT_DATA =(SID =LITTLE)
    )

I can connect through sqlplus and tnsping database. On Oracle version 817 on Windows XP

Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager

Hi,
    The first column of any SQL*Net/Net8 configuration file marks the beginning of a whole new entry in the file. White space in
    the first column marks that this line a continuation of the previous line. Ensure that the first column is the start of a net service name.
    OR
    Remove/Rename the existing TNSNAMES.ORA file and recreate the file with the Net8 Assistant tool.

Cause of the Problem:
    When the "EM Tools" parse the TNSNAMES.ORA file, it is finding either a white space in the very first position or something else has corrupted your files. Please recreate the TNSNAMES.ORA file either with Net8 Configuration Assistant or manually and make sure the first position of the file is not a space or blank line

The following is the workaround for this:
    Workaround was to first use a net8 generated tnsnames file, then once your OEM is working, you can "trick it" and replace the net8 generated tnsnames file with the original one that you wanted to use.

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i
    oracle-support@indiatimes.com
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com