DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing 9i...use it as 8i.

Question Installing 9i...use it as 8i.

All,

we've sold our product, and the client wishes to use 9i instead of 8i which we've used until now.
    Our product is nearly changed to work with the dll's of 9i, but there's something I'ld like to ask.

For the moment I'm not really familiar with 9i (I'm OCP8iDBA), I'm going to take the '9i New Features' course next year. Is it possible to install 9i "BASIC" -->like a 8i
    and afterwards make adjustments to use f.i. Real Application Clusters, or is this an intensive operation?

Thx,

Rik

I am not sure if you can setup a non-RAC database, and then "convert" it to RAC...but I can share this with you:

We just went live with a 4 node 9i RAC setup. Initially we created 2 instances (cause we only had 2 servers)...then we added 2 more instances (when the 2 add'l servers came in).

I would suggest creating the database as a RAC instance, but have only 1 setup. When you have add'l machines, and you are comfortable handling multiple instaces, you can expand RAC. But even to setup the 1st one is going to take some RAC knowledge. I would suggest going thru some pretty complete DOCs on Metalink...to setup RAC. There are DOCs for each OS type.

Good Luck.

Maybe what you are looking for is the compatability parameter, which allows you to limit 9i to the features of an earlier release.

Here is a (badly formatted) quote from the Oracle 9.2 Database Reference documantation ...

COMPATIBLE allows you to use a new release, while at the same time guaranteeing
    backward compatibility with an earlier release. This is helpful if it becomes
    necessary to revert to the earlier release.
    This parameter specifies the release with which the Oracle server must maintain
    compatibility. It allows you to take advantage of the maintenance improvements of
    a new release immediately in your production systems without testing the new
    functionality in your environment. Some features of the current release may be
    restricted.
    When using the standby database feature, this parameter must have the same value
    on the primary and standby databases, and the value must be 7.3.0.0.0 or higher.
    The default value is the earliest release with which compatibility can be guaranteed.
    The value of COMPATIBLE must be set to 8.1.0 or higher in order to use stored
    columns of UROWID type. You can use ROWID pseudo columns for index-organized
    tables regardless of the parameter setting.
    Parameter type String
    Syntax COMPATIBLE = release_number
    Default value 8.1.0
    Parameter class Static
    Range of values Default release to current release
    Real Application
    Clusters
    Multiple instances must have the same value.
    See Also: Oracle9i Database Migration for more information on setting
    this parameter
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE