DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: database down

So after the db is created, and you are in archivelog mode, do a backup to establish the baseline, then apply the archived log files.
    Last edited by stecal; 12-13-2002 at 03:48 PM.

Im able to connect to my corrupt database and issue a alter database backup controlefile to trace;

I have 2 years of archive log, i want to be able to recover from my full export, instead of course from the database creation.

Any idea?

If is it not possible, how to i apply my archive from a new database?

Originally posted by steeve123
    I have 2 years of archive log, i want to be able to recover from my full export, instead of course from the database creation.

Any idea?

If is it not possible, how to i apply my archive from a new database?
    Again,

You cannot use an import and archive logs together.

Database exports are not a substitute for whole database backups and cannot provide the same complete recovery advantages that the built-in functionality of Oracle offers. For example, you cannot apply archived logs to logical backups in order to update lost changes. An export provides a snapshot of the logical data (tables, stored procedures, and so forth) in a database when the export was made.

You created new database, imported database objects and data in the new database using import, but the archivelogs are from the different database, you just can't apply them.

Assume a situation when you open database after imcomplete recovery you resetlogs. After this, all the arhivelogs from prev. incarnation of database are of no use. Same way, you have different database in your situation.

ever hear of the backup and recovery guide?
    http://tahiti.oracle.com
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message