DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: data modeling & designed

data modeling & designed

Hi all,

This is going to be the first time I got involved with designing the data modeling. is there any Documentation or site where I can get some info. As a DBA, what do you need to do to help the desinging team to design the application????

Please advise

If you guys will be using Oracle designer then Oracle press has a good book "Oracle Designer". It is a good book but it is somewhat tool oriented. SO if you use Erwin or other tools then it might not be very handy. There are other Data modelling books and I don't know currently which One is the best.

I am not sure at what stage of designing you are, basically you need to identify Entities, their attibutes, how the tables are joined to each other. Try to bring your database upto 3rd normal form (Normalization).

depends

Your responsibility depends on they philosophy of your shop.

Some shops have full time data modellers and data administrators, while others rely on the developers to do data modelling. Some shops see an advantage in data integration while others keep data within or between departments or subsidiaries separate.

If you search google for 3rd normal form, you should find some things.

Data Modeller a very business oriented role rather than a technical role in my opinion.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g