DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOAD vs OEM

TOAD vs OEM

Okay, got a question. I am trying to decide if I want to install and setup OEM to help me manage my environment, or purchase TOAD. I have not had much of a chance to evaluate either package. I have been using OEM in a standalone mode just for its more basic functions.

I am in the processing of testing before migration to a 9i Release 2 system. I am currently planning to also setup RMAN for my backup and recovery. We are also exploring Dataguard as an alternative to replication (for disaster recovery).

I need to be able to manage my production system, dev, clones, etc. I want to be able to analzye, find log jams, tune system and queries, debug sql code and packages ( to include parameter step-throughs, etc).

The biggest thing that OEM offers me right now is FREE. We are (as many) in a little bit of a budget crunch and don't know if I can justify the $2-3K for the version of TOAD that I was looking at.

Thanks
    Bob

if you dont have money use OEM, it's perfectly ok to use just a bit slow

For what you have described I think OEM is much better than Toad. Toad is more usefull for application developers and it lacks in functionality as far as database admin work is concerned. I have not used TOAD a lot but this is my point of view. You can take a lot of advantage of OEM if you set it up with management server. You can almost do everything as far as DBA works goes including export,import,backup,recovery,use rman commands,perform extensive tuning, email/paging notification etc etc..you name it.

Thanks.

I am finding that I am doing alot more pl/sql code so I also need the development side as well. Much to ponder.

Originally posted by DcsoBob
    I am finding that I am doing alot more pl/sql code so I also need the development side as well. Much to ponder.
    Try PL/SQL Developer

http://www.allroundautomations.com

Toad with the DBA module allows for regular DBA tasks just like OEM, ie, email/paging, exports/imports, tablespace map, tnsnames mgmt, etc. The ultimate difference is the cost. The PL/SQL editor is great and there are a lot of nice additions in Toad that OEM lacks and a much cleaner interface but does the cost justify this? It's up to you. I use Toad (sounds like an AA statement doesn't it?) but I use OEM once in a while because of the OMS side (I use it primarily with 9iAs r2). I prefer Toad but if cost is a major factor then you are fine going with OEM - just not as a nice an interface IMHO.

That ramarl. That seems to be the governing concenus of the folks I have contacted around the area here. TOAD is popular for its interface and ease of use, but OEM will do just as much. Again, I am looking at a cost factor. I have heard that TOAD is changing its pricing scheme but have not asked them about it. Currently, TOAD with the DBA module is about $2200. OEM is free. Decisions Decisions.

I have not used TOAD as much but does the DBA pack version of TOAD has the tuning/diagnostic pack etc as OEM and is it possible to run scheduled jobs, events etc like OEM ? What about sql*loader/import/export/RMAN commands etc ?? Just curious

Hi,
    this discussion shows a problem with toad.
    It's so universal that is's difficult to
    see the exact sense what you can do with that tool.

You cannot compare TOAD with OEM.
    And if you are pl/sql-oriented
    use PL/SQL-Developer instead, www.allroundautomations.com

Orca

I use both... all the time. OEM has it's advantags, but TOAD has it's as well. I'm lucky enough to be able to use the Registered version of TOAD, but I'm just as content with the unregistered version of TOAD also.

If I was you, I'd install OEM and use the unregistered version of TOAD also.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia