DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Standby Question

Standby Question

HI folks,

If my Primary database happen to crash, and if i have a STANDBY DATABASE setup, is it possible to recover completely.

Suppose, if i have a 5MB sized online redolog member, and my Primary database crashes, when it was halfway through, what about the commited changes which were present in the online logs, (since it has not been archived). When i activate the standby these changes are not present in the archive. Is it possible to recover these changes as well with the standby setup.

Regards
    Sonia

In Oracle9i you can switch the primary server into protected mode which will prevent updates being applied to the primary server until they have been sent to at least one standby location.

In Oracle8i you can only get as close as the last change that's been posted top the standby.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

If you can atleast mount your primary (depending on the type of DB crash) and swith the logs a couple of times - this should create the archive logs. You can manually transport them on the standby and apply before opening the standby DB.
    Vinit