DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Enterprise Manager - can't see database

Originally posted by gandolf989
    I'm sure you have looked at this before but I thought I would mention it anyway. Can you connect to the database on the linux server from another machine? Can you connect to the database on the linux server from the Oracle management machine using sqlplus? Have you tried to ping the linux machine using the computer name? If you are trying to run the management server on windows, I'm not sure why you would look at the oratab file on the linux machine. Either the listener on the linux machine works or it doesn't. Just a few thoughts.
    Just to clarify....

The reason we looked at the oratab file on the Linux host was because it is the discovery of the services on that host that is failing. The intelligent agent which runs on that host is failing to populate the services.ora correctly which is what is used by the OEM management console for discovery. In order for the Intelligent agent to detect sevices it first reads the oratab file on it's local host no matter where the OEM console resides.

Hope that makes sense

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I should have assumed that you tried all of the simple things first.

Thanks gandolf989

Looking though the thread - is there anything that I should have tried that I haven't?

Any help would be great as this is becoming a real problem.

Many thanks

A
    What's the sound of one hand clapping - "CL"

Managed to sort it out, there was a problem with the listener, the listener.ora file was just wrong - which is strange because when I went in to OEM stand alone I could look after the database.

Anyway, I created a listener.ora file on my local laptop (pretending I was on the Linex machine) using configuration assistant, and copied the file to the Linex box, stopped and started the Listener and stoped and started the agent.

The portals database now shows up in my service.ora file, and I can see it through Management Server.

Thanks to everyone for there help.

A
    What's the sound of one hand clapping - "CL"