DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace ???????

ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace ???????

I'm attempting to do an Import into a recently constructed Test version of our Live database. Problem is that during the import process I get a numerous "ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace ??????" . I have ensured the tablespaces for all are >= to the Live environment. I've tried to even import one table at a time, but even that doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how I can fix this?

Thanks
    Indy

because you exported with compress=y option so if in production you have 10 extents of 10mb each in your import database you need an initial extent of 100MB

the fix is increase your tablespace space or coalesce the tablespace so you can have a big enough extent with contiguos freespace

too bad you shouldnt use compree=y :(

You could create the tables manually in the test database and now import with rows=y, ignore=y from the export dump.

Thanks Guys for your quick response.

Pando - Is there any SQL I can use to interogate the database to find out exactly how much the tablespace needs to be?

ggnanaraj - Thanks for the tip. Sounds very useful if I ever want to import a few tables. Can't use it this time as I have 700+ tables.
    Indy

Make sure the user you are importing into has Quotas on the tablespaces.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by Indy
    Thanks Guys for your quick response.

Pando - Is there any SQL I can use to interogate the database to find out exactly how much the tablespace needs to be?

ggnanaraj - Thanks for the tip. Sounds very useful if I ever want to import a few tables. Can't use it this time as I have 700+ tables.

select owner, tablespace_name, sum(bytes/(1024*1024))
    from dba_segments
    group by owner, tablespace_name;