DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Connection time from application to DB

Connection time from application to DB

Guys,

We have a big Powerbuilder/Stored Procedures applications that connect to 8i on 2000. We just promote from 8 to 8i. Now the Users complain that initial connection from application when they login is very slow but after that everything is fast enough.

Does anything I can do in server side? I mean adjuzt any init.ora settings? UGA , Sort area ... I don't know!!

How do you track down this and what's any simiklar experience please share.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

How about testing Oracle connection through SQLPlus? It that is okay, then maybe the developers need to use the right Powerbuilder drivers to connect to Oracle 8i.
    -- Dilip

How do you know that connection is very slow?
    Usually, developers put LOTS of code after login event and that is why users blame you that your database is very slow. In that case everyone think that connection is slow, but it just loading initialization data which might be very big at the begining, when data have loaded application begin work as normal.
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

The problem is they are saying that login time in old production machine was faster, same code, same application. SQL Plus connection is very fast. What do u think?

Originally posted by farrokhp
    The problem is they are saying that login time in old production machine was faster, same code, same application. SQL
    And same Oracle Version? If not, Are they using Powerbuilder Native drivers to connect to Oracle 8i or are they using ODBC drivers? If SQLPLUS, is fast, the problem lies in how they are connecting through Powerbuilder. Just my guess.
    -- Dilip

I can send you small program you can use to get connection time.
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

I think you raise a good point. Powerbuilder native drive and PB ODBC driver. They still use powerbuilder 6.0 stuff in 8.0.5. They just use them again in new 8i box. Do they need to download / buy drivers??

Do you know that ODBC in several times works slowly than connection through OCI?
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

I dont think PowerBuilder 6.X have native drivers for Oracle 8i. Is PowerBuiler 6.X even supported now? The workaround in our case was, we had PowerBuilder 6.X connect to local Oracle 8.0 client and oracle 8.0 client in turn connected to Oracle 8i server.

From Version 8.X, PowerBuilder have native drivers for Oracle 8i. And they come with PowerBuilder Software. Maybe time to upgrade your Powerbuilder. Check out if there is any information at Sybase site for connectivity to Oracle 8i from PowerBuilder 6.X. Sorry could not help you more.
    -- Dilip