DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TO MODERATORS: To Have TOPIC CATEGORY in Posts

TO MODERATORS: To Have TOPIC CATEGORY in Posts

Dear Moderators and all members -

I have a request in the design of Composing Posts OR Replying to Posts. I think in the Compose Window, where we actually type the message, we must have a List (Static List) Box that has pre-loaded values such as "B&R", "Architecture", "RMAN", "Backround Processes", "General" etc. We must also make this field a mandatory column.

The Advantage - by this, whenever topics are posted / replied, the SUBJECT will be Pre-Fixed with the category. So when a user wants to search topics which are pertaining to Backup & Recovery, he will search on the topic category "B&R" - which pulls out all posts that have subjects pre-fixed with "B&R". I mean the user need not think of constructive key words to search on topics this way; besides no one can miss the topics.

Also the Seach Options - we can have another column called "SEACH CATEGORY" which will list the same set of Static Values as the List described above. This facilitates for a smooth constructive control of the various topics that are posted.

Some of the Static Values (we can always add more as we encounter) could be -

RMAN,
    B&R (Backup & Recovery),
    ARCH (Architecture),
    SGA,
    DF (Datafiles),
    TS (TableSpaces),
    RA (Redo & Archive Logs),
    NAC (Network Admin & Config),
    BP (Background Processes),
    SP (SQL & PL/SQL),
    PT (Performance Tuning)

etc etc.

Please cooperate in sharing your thoughts on this. I felt this would be a great improvement on the architecture of the board

P.S: Please don't move this topic to general section, as this concerns everyone specially this DBA forum to take a look and give their feedback. I kindly request atleast for a day or two that this topic remains in this forum. Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by quester; 11-26-2002 at 06:00 AM.

The people that have the ability to modify this forum don't regularly read the "Administration" forum.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    The people that have the ability to modify this forum don't regularly read the "Administration" forum.
    Oh that's fine. BTW, you being a Moderator yourself - may I ask your opinion about this enhancement Sir?

Oh that's fine. BTW, you being a Moderator yourself - may I ask your opinion about this enhancement Sir?

quester, we're going to look into the feasibility of adding this feature. We'd like to know how valuable users would find such a feature, so I'd like to get the thoughts of other users on this idea. What does everyone think?

my opinion is no need, adding such features and making it mandatory this would be like other forum which I never went back (such as technet forum which has like 30 forums)

useless, I have been using this forum for 2.5 years with no problems at all in getting answers or searching

So now somebody can pick "ARCH" and their subject is URGENT!!! ? Or, maybe they pick "B&R" and their question is about PL/SQL...

One of the criteria I use to answer questions is the subject. If the subject is non-descript I move on to the next one. People who know how to describe a problem provide a good subject. I don't think it would help me answer questions faster...
    Jeff Hunter

This is my idea.

1)Say I want to search something on RMAN specific. But the key word I use for search may not be there in the posts that actually contain the answer I am looking at. So I may never be able to track the post I am looking for. If there is a pre-fix on the Posts' Subject and if there is a category tpe in the Seach Page, I can pull out all posts and only posts that contain information on RMAN. That way, my search is faster and better organized into what I am looking at.

2)Another reason why I asked this feature is, incase say I want to view only topics on B&R at the moment, because I am preparing for exams or interview and would like to see the possible questions on B&R - how would I be able to do it in the current design? But with my proposition, it is possible to segregate the B&R posts and look into it comfortably.

Anyway, this is your board. I am just a passer by who aspires for some useful (in my opinion) features. I don't think it needs lot of thinking, debating and arguing for such a feature. If it interests you, you may do it and I am happy.

P.S: As one of the members "fstroud" has replied saying it depends what everyone feels - this is the major reason why I requested this post to be allowed in the DBA section; there was a strong logical reason why I requested for that. This post has only about 70 Views here from yesterday; had it been in the DBA Forum, just like any other normal post, it would have had atleast 300 views and atleast 20 replies. Anyway, as I mentioned, the Board Authorities have to be more interested in features like these than anyone else.

Many thanks for the responses..

Originally posted by quester

P.S: As one of the members "fstroud" has replied saying it depends what everyone feels - this is the major reason why I requested this post to be allowed in the DBA section; there was a strong logical reason why I requested for that. This post has only about 70 Views here from yesterday; had it been in the DBA Forum, just like any other normal post, it would have had atleast 300 views and atleast 20 replies. Anyway, as I mentioned, the Board Authorities have to be more interested in features like these than anyone else.
    Would you really want to wade through 100 posts of "The Giants are great!" or "OCP Questions" when viewing the Admin forum? No. Sure, they would get a lot of views and probably a lot of responses, but it's not relevent to the Admin forum. Besides, the owners of this forum seldom look at the Admin forum. You could have 3000 responses and they would never see the feedback. You probably wouldn't have gotten the response from Forrest if this was in the Admin forum.
    Jeff Hunter

Besides, the owners of this forum seldom look at the Admin forum. You could have 3000 responses and they would never see the feedback. You probably wouldn't have gotten the response from Forrest if this was in the Admin forum.
    Hey, hold on. I meant this post to be a part of DBA Forum. Agreed. I never meant it should not be a part of this feedback forum. I meant it would have been best if this was visible in both the forums, that way we could get the best response on this.

Yes, posts other than DBA do not look good in the DBA Forum; but there are always exceptions and this post made a lot of sense to be a part of the DBA forum (also).

One thing I want to stress - when all the doors are closed, the mind can think only in one direction. As long as there is an attitude to openness and an attitude to see things in a broader sense, nothing can happen, let alone posting this post in any forum.

To me, it doesn't bother much anyway. But to the forum, it would just have been a simple enhancement with a very useful feature (again in my opinion), without having to harm anyone anyway.