DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Concatenate data from more than 1 row?

Concatenate data from more than 1 row?

Hi Peers,

Wonder if you can help? I need a query that can concatenate data from more than one row and only return a single value.

Scenario: Our application splits long text (for example the list of Fields in a form) into chunks, with each chunk be saved in a separate row. The field list for a form called 'Main' that contains "First_Field, Second_Field, Third_Field" is split and becomes (in simplified terms)

Form ID Fields
    ==== == ======
    Main 01 First_Field, Se
    Main 02 cond_Field, Thi
    Main 03 rd_Field
    aaaa 01 etc...
    aaaa 02 etc..
    zzzz 01 etc...
    zzzz 02 etc..
    zzzz 03 etc.
    zzzz 04 etc

A simple query to find occurences of Form that contain 'Second_Field' fail becuase that value is split. What i'd like to do is concatenate the 3 (or more/less) values back together into a single string and use it for comparison in a where clause.

I've heard that DECODE might help, but my knowledge of it is limited, hence the cry for help.

Thanks in advance

Ben

You can use explicit cursors, contactenate them in each iteration of the Loop. What say? I am afraid whether DECODE can help to do this in a single SELECT statement.

This will help you.. but it has some limitations on number of records to be concatenated

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=29975