DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no listener!!!!

Lightbulb no listener!!!!

Hi,

I have download Oracle8i for win98 from OTN, I installed it,

I start database with sid = Oracle.

when I start sqlplus with no host string, it works fine,

but , when I start it with host string = "Oracle" , it gives me an error : no listener, although "Oracle" is a service name in the file tnsnames.ora.

thanks for any reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try commenting out SQL.Authentication_service in your sqlnet.ora and then restart the listener. You shoul be running Personal Oracle, given that you installed on Windows 98. Personal Oracle is meant to be standalone, even though it has a listener. I have gotten the listener to work from another machine.

Otherwise you might want to post the following: listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora. As well as the exact error message that you are getting.

When you are connecting on the server without using the @SID part of a connection string and with the SID set as an environment variable, and without the listener, you will get what is called a bequeath session. Whenever you append the service name (@SID), you are forcing Oracle to go across the network (even if on the server). No listener, no connection.

It really has nothing to do with SQL.Authentication_service if all you did was install Oracle and try to connect.

Start your listener if you want to use the "@SID" component of a connection string.

try ORACLE.WORLD
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by stecal
    When you are connecting on the server without using the @SID part of a connection string and with the SID set as an environment variable, and without the listener, you will get what is called a bequeath session. Whenever you append the service name (@SID), you are forcing Oracle to go across the network (even if on the server). No listener, no connection.

It really has nothing to do with SQL.Authentication_service if all you did was install Oracle and try to connect.

Start your listener if you want to use the "@SID" component of a connection string.
    Has nothing to do with .world either. See above.

thanks for all, but stecal is wright!!!!

the question is for stecal, I have started listener in the command prompt (lsnrctl start) and sql plus work fine, but with this method every time I will restart my machine I have to do this ?

is there a METHOD TO START LISTENER AUTOMATICALLY, I am on WIN98 not WINNT!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS A LOT!

fact: Oracle Server - Personal Edition 8.1.7
    fact: MS Windows 98
    symptom: The Database Listener Does Not Start Automatically
    cause: Windows 98 does not have a feature to automatically start the
    listener process.

fix:

1. Open a DOS Window
    2. MSDOS>lsnrctl start

Note: The default listener name is Listener

I see stecal, thanks,

Then , I have to start the listener every time I will need to use it, because I will necessary need it when I will connect to the database from a tool like developer6i ?

correct me if I am wrong ?

farida.

Originally posted by stecal
    When you are connecting on the server without using the @SID part of a connection string and with the SID set as an environment variable, and without the listener, you will get what is called a bequeath session.

you don't interstand my question stecal!

I have just installed developer6i, and to connect to the database from developer 6i, I need a service name, for this I have copied the tnsnames.ora from the path of DB to the path of developer6i ....

but, I need the listener if I want my connection succed,

therefore, I have to start the listener every time I need to use developer.

ot perhaps, with developer there is another more easy method????