DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: standby to primary to standby

standby to primary to standby

Dear Sir,

One of the site giving the features fo a Standby database in Oracle9i reads this:

"The new database switchover feature provides the database administrator (DBA) with the ability to switch the role of the primary database to one of the available standby databases. The chosen standby database becomes the primary database and the original primary database then becomes a standby database. There is no need to reinstantiate any of the databases in the switchover operation"

Now assuming that there is a problem in the primary, say it needs a datafile recovery, and we switch over to standby database. Now is it possible to recover the original Primary database???? and reconfigure it to be used as a standby?? Of course this is not possible with 8i but Iam asking this question bec. of the information that is available on the site saying that it is possible to switch between primary and standby..

Eagerly waiting for and answer..

Thanks and Regards

K.Diwakar

Hi Diwakar

Yes it is possible but only in oracle9i where the standby database has gone a feature revamp and it is called as oracle datagaurd...

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi Diwakar

Yes it is possible but only in oracle9i where the standby database has gone a feature revamp and it is called as oracle datagaurd...

regards
    Hrishy
    Thank you for your reply...I started going through the features of Dataguard right before seeing your post and shall get back to you on the same..

Regards,

K.Diwakar