DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: init<sid>.ora file

init<sid>.ora file

The init.ora file is created by Oracle isn't it?
    Can anyone tell me what I did wrong during install to cause the init.ora file to not be created? I've done an 8.1.7 and a 9.2.0 install and both were missing the file. Once I copied and modified another db's file and added it, the db came up and shut down just fine so I know that is apparently the only problem.
    Any ideas?
    thanks

How did you create your Database? If you used DBCA, it should have created init file for you.

During Oracle Install, If you select the option to create the starter database, Init.Ora file will be created for you by Oracle for that test Database. Generally you can find this at ..admin/YOUR_INSTANCE/pfile.. directory.
    -- Dilip

initsid.ora

I did create the db during installation. It appears that one install has the init file, but not the initsid.ora file, where you indicated and one does not even have the admin folder there. I thought, however that it was to be in the ORACLE_HOME/dbs/ folder with the init.ora file that's there. Neither install put the initsid file there, yet that is the location where I manually put a file and the db started up fine after that. Is it a dba responsibility in all cases to copy the init.ora to the initsid.ora and modify it? Or does oracle provide the initsid AND the init files as part of an install that included creating a db?

I'm a bit confused with these files since every time we try the install we seem to come up with a different problem. We've installed several times for 8.17 and for 9.2.0. (both of us in a learning stage obviously)

I appreciate any clarification on the init file vs the initsid file and where they go, as well as when and how they get created.
    thanks for your input

Init.ora file will be created by oracle if you use Oracle tools like DBCA to create a database. Even if oracle generates init file for you, you have to manually change the parameters on it as per your requirements.

If you are manually writing scipts to create a database, you have to create init.ora file yourself.

Like i said before, init.ora file is generally found in ORACLE_BASE \admin\DB_NAME \pfile\init.ora. directory. Or you check your registry entry for exact location(if you are using windows).

For more info, refer : http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...start.htm#6439

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ate.htm#999226

hope that helps.
    -- Dilip