DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rman

Rman

Hi,

I have a problem where I do not have enough disk space to backup a database to the disk where it resides. I am using rman scripts to back the db up. How do I specify a remote backup destanation in rman. Can I specify the node name/ip address in the 'format' clause of the rcv script?

Thanks in advance

Re: Rman

Originally posted by netbar
    How do I specify a remote backup destanation in rman. Can I specify the node name/ip address in the 'format' clause of the rcv script?
    I am not sure if it is possible or not to backup on remote device using rman. Why don't you map drive of remote m/c and then specify that in "format" clause

You can't. RMAN expects the filesystems to look like they are local. On unix, you can NFS mount the remote filesystems to the box.
    Jeff Hunter

It's on a unix platform is the only way to nfsmount a volume on that box, my only question then would be network traffic could be an issue the nfs mount will constantly be contacting the box it is mounted from. I suppose I could mount the volume then back up the db and then drop the mount after the backups complete but this seems a bit overkill and messy.

Has anybody done anything similar?

Another option is to go directly to tape bypassing disk using Media Management software.

ie. Tivoli, Veritas or Legato Storage Manager (free with Oracle)

Did you try to use Samba?
    I did not try use rman with it, but I do hot backup to remote host with no problems.
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

It's on a unix platform is the only way to nfsmount a volume on that box, my only question then would be network traffic could be an issue the nfs mount will constantly be contacting the box it is mounted from. I suppose I could mount the volume then back up the db and then drop the mount after the backups complete but this seems a bit overkill and messy.

I'm doing it right now. Sure, the network is the bottleneck, but there's lots of ways around that (ie. bigger pipe, private pipe, etc.) I use the automount feature (on Solaris) to automatically mount my NFS disk to the server which I am backing up always at /home/backupserver1-backupserverN. When I'm done, it umounts. This way, I can use the same RMAN script to always back up to N filesystems.
    Jeff Hunter