DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: logon/logoff trigger

logon/logoff trigger

Hi all,

I want to implement logon and logoff trigger. Before that I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. From my searching about this topic, I learn that I have to make sure the trigger is running properly or nobody can logon. All people implement this on oracle 8.1.6 and above. I have a few questions that I want to ask. I have oracle version 8.0.6 on unix.

Q1) Can I implement logon/logoff trigger on oracle version 8.0.6? What I need to enable in order to get this trigger to work (eg. role assign, what user can i use-normal/dba)?

Q2) My goal is to set trigger to send me an email and insert time,ip,terminal etc into table. This is for specific user. Anobody out there who successfull implement this want to give me some help, please?

Thank you in advance.

regards,
    Feroz

bad luck, not available on 8.0.6

Hi,

Thank you for replying. So what version of oracle that I can use to implement this trigger? next year I'm going to upgrade to oracle 8i.

At home I have personal edition 8i that I can test before put it on production machine. Anybody want to help me?

Thank you.

regards,
    Feroz

logon trigger

Feroz,

To avoid the problem you mention, put an exception at the end of your logon trigger:
    EXCEPTION
    WHEN OTHERS THEN
    NULL;

This will ensure that, even if your trigger does not work, users will be able to log in. Of source, you will have to do some extra work to make sure it does work, but at least you will not upset anyone.

Hope this helps

Gerry