DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Performance Critical Transactions

Performance Critical Transactions

Anybody wants to share some useful information for a beginner,

I've been informed that Indexes is a method which could be used to improve performance, one way to measure performance is by length of time,

Can anyone suggest two performance critical transaction methods which involve

a) joins of atleast 3 tables
    b) recursion

Own tables could be used but if in doubt please feel free to ask for additional information.

Thanks in Advance to all.

Re: Performance Critical Transactions

Originally posted by menzi
    I've been informed that Indexes is a method which could be used to improve performance
    Wow, you are, indeed, a beginner. If you just found out about indexes, you have a very long journey ahead of you. You are likely going to need far more instruction than a simple forum can provide. I suggest you do a lot of reading. Starting with a good SQL book would be a start.

one way to measure performance is by length of time
    While basically true, this can be very misleading. There are many variables involved with how long it actually takes a statement to execute. One of the biggest variables is caching. You basically need to keep running the statement until it stops getting faster. This will give you a base time against which to do comparisons. Then, after you make any changes, you must perform the same exercise again to get another comparison point. And remember that time is only one way of measuring performance.

Can anyone suggest two performance critical transaction methods which involve

a) joins of atleast 3 tables
    b) recursion

Huh???

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong