DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shared servers

shared servers

Hi experts,

What is the difference between "dedicated","shared","none","pseudo" of the "server" attribute of the view v$session ? When I am using a shared server connection, the "server" attribute of the v$session view displays "none". When would this become "shared" and what is the significance of "pseudo"?

Burzin

Re: shared servers

Originally posted by burzinmk
    Hi experts,

What is the difference between "dedicated","shared","none","pseudo" of the "server" attribute of the view v$session ? When I am using a shared server connection, the "server" attribute of the v$session view displays "none". When would this become "shared" and what is the significance of "pseudo"?
    When you kill a session, the "server" column changes to "pseudo".

v$session.server always shows the type of connection made to the dataabase server. To make a SHARED server you need to set few parameters in init.ora.

You can always make a DEDICATED connection to shared shared. The type of connection which you need to make has to be specify in tnsnames.ora. All background processes make a DEDICATED connection to database.

F.ex
    Code:
    ORCL =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.4.24)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = SHARED)
          (SID = ORCL)
        )
      )

ORCL2 =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.10.4.24)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SID = ORCL)
        )
      )
    Above two entries points to same database with different connection type. So in this case v$session.server will show "DEDICATED" and "SHARED" status resp...

Refer to http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...proc.htm#13880
    for setting up shared server.

HTH

Sameer

Hi Sameer

Whatever you have written is perfectly fine. My Oracle server is configured to use dispatchers and shared servers. Even v$circuit displays the virtual circuit. But I do not understand why v$session "server" attribute has to show "none" for a shared server. This is why I want to know the difference between none and the others.

Thanks

Burzin

Its the same.. A server of NONE or SHARED denotes an MTS connection.

I got it

Hi Sameer

I got it. When a particular user is executing a query, the "server" attribute of v$session changes to "shared" otherwise it is "none". I also checked out the "status" and "queue" attributes of v$circuit. Both give very useful information.

Thanks
    Burzin