DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: URGENT - Oracle domain - sqlnet.ora ??

URGENT - Oracle domain - sqlnet.ora ??

Can you tell me what is exactly the .world domain in Oracle.

I create a new database in a new server. It seems that it inherits another domain by default so from client machine since I have names.default_domain = WORLD in sqlnet.ora everytime i want to connect to this database I have to use something like
    connect scott/tiger@db_prod.xyz.com

How can I get rid of specifying xyz.com everytimeand keeping the names.default_domain as WORLD.

It is very important for our applications. PLease advice.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

You should list the version of Oracle that you are using and the operating system for your database server. Generally I don't use the domain. I'm not sure why someone would want to except for people who also SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) whcih I don't use either.

You can comment out the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) as well as NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = XYZ.COM and you should be able to access your database. If not post the above items and someone might have an answer.

My contract is currently at a multinational.

We are moving some databases from one country to another. If developers have created links without fully qualified names, it can cause some stress.

Ideally there are naming conventions, and links are not hardcoded into programs. Reality is often different.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

We are using 8i on Win 2000 platform. If your suggestion works and if I comment out the default.domain then I don't need to use .work or .xyz at the end of service name?? Is that for sure?

connect system/manager@nu_prod will work even it is in .california domain??
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Check the TNSNAMES.ORA for the services connection string. If the default_domain is equal to the NET_SERVICE_NAME's domain, you may omit domain name when you connect to a database.
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998