DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: URGENT - Export full prod schema

URGENT - Export full prod schema

Guys,

Is that OK that I initiate a production database schema export during working hours ( 9:00 - 5:00 )

Q 1 - How much perfortmance degrade for regular users od database if I do that?? Is it feelable?

Q 2 - Obviously they continue to insert/update... Database, Does it make any crash and dis-integreity, ... ???

Q 3 - Is it doable at all or not?

Thank you
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Too many variables here to say yes or no. It depends on the hardware, database size, number of users and what they are running.

I would suggest reading a bit on export
    http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...ch01.htm#32400

You can use the "CONSISTANT" but that will have an impact on tables (read only).

I guess the bottom line is that if it needs to be done, then do it. Otherwise it would be best to wait, if it is a smaller DB on Unix they may not even know.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Is it a different user? if yes then i think there is not problem in that! well in other words do your hardware is enought capable to handle the exp and other DB activites.

NK
    ====================================================
    Stand up for your principles even if you stand alone!
    ====================================================

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    You can use the "CONSISTANT" but that will have an impact on tables (read only).
    I don't get this remark - what do you mean by "read only"? All the tables are opened for inserts/deletes/updates even if you use CONSISTENT=Y, so where does the "read only" fit in?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    I don't get this remark - what do you mean by "read only"? All the tables are opened for inserts/deletes/updates even if you use CONSISTENT=Y, so where does the "read only" fit in?
    My bad, I read too fast...
    From Oracle webpage...

Consistent
    default=n

"Specifies whether or not Export uses the SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY statement to ensure that the data seen by Export is consistent to a single point in time and does not change during the execution of the export command. You should specify CONSISTENT=Y when you anticipate that other applications will be updating the target data after an export has started. "

Also..
    "If you use CONSISTENT=Y and the volume of updates is large, the rollback segment will be large. In addition, the export of each table will be slower because the rollback segment must be scanned for uncommitted transactions. "

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.