DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the benefit to crate multiple datafiles for single Tablespaces

Thumbs up What is the benefit to crate multiple datafiles for single Tablespaces

Oracle 8.1.7 and Sun Solaris

Each tablespace need 12GB spaces
    Should I create one 12 GB datafiles (OS allow 15GB), or create 4, 3 GB datafiles.
    Storage is RAID 5 system

Thanks in advance
    OraMan

I think you cann't get performance improvement by creating multiple datafiles in a RAID system.

Bye the way. There is a heavy impact on performance to use RAID 5 in an OLTP system.
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998

Imagine you have to move your datafiles to another volume. The chances of finding single chunk of 12Gb(even more when datafile grows) are smaller than finding 3Gb one. Also moving one big file will take much longer than four small files in parallel.

And keep in mind that some Oracle versions have limitations of 2Gb datafiles, that includes exp/imp utilities.

Think about restore/recovery of this huge datafile too. If you do datafile recovery, do you prefer to do it on 12Gb file or 2Gb one??

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP 8/8i/9i DBA
    Last edited by marist89; 11-01-2002 at 11:36 AM.

I don't know, but something about plugging your forums in our forums doesn't seem quite right to me.

Regardless, just wanted to let you know that I followed the first link to your site (the main page) and got code instead of a web page. You might want to look into that.

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong

Originally posted by chrisrlong
    I don't know, but something about plugging your forums in our forums doesn't seem quite right to me.

I agree, too much like advertising to me...
    Jeff Hunter

Clio, I have never encountered an "Oracle version" that had a limit on datafile size. I have seen OS's with that problem, Unix can have a 2G limit unless large files are enabled. I know winzip has a 4G limit and files size.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by chrisrlong

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also looks like a complete rip off of this site as well

Now, I don't want to come down too hard here. clio has 75 posts and honestly answered the question here. I also looked through the history and found only real responses to threads. So he/she isn't here simply to advertise but to actually participate. And I don't want to dissuade anyone from actively participating. I simply think that plugging a 'competing' (in the loosest possible sense of the word) forum is a little 'odd', shall we say . I don't think it 'crosses the line', as it were (although it may be in the 'grey area' ).

I had simply felt the need to make a little passive-aggressive comment about the plug before telling him/her about the problem with the home page. We'll save the lynch mob for when Rory Wong comes back .

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong

Leaving the Madison Ave. aside.

Versions of Oracle prior to 8i had a 2GB file limit.
    Export and Import files (per se) prior to 9i had a 2 GB file lime, but the file size limit since 8i has been the OS limit. (We are ignoring the problems with 4GB boundaries on several platforms, those are/were bugs that were fixed in the next release.)

9i is basically the OS limit (except for bugs.......)
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'

Some one mentioned that if you run Parallel query it could access all files simultaneously and give you fast result. Any one has this kind of issue

-- Thanks