DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: export/import

export/import

Hi
    We have 2 databases on one server. db1 and db2.
    DB2 is a newly created database that we want to make a production database.
    We performed a full database export of the db1 and would like to import it to db2.
    How do we go by to perform the import to the new database on the same server ? By setting the environment ?

before the import set oracle_sid=db2 ( where db2 is the new database we want to import data to?
    Please advise
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

yep... that will do..
    -nagarjuna

Thanks just double checking.
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

Before you perform the export and import you should consider the NLS Characterset and export the NLS_LANG also.
    Because in some cases the full export will be done with the default char set as US7ASCII, even if your national Charset is different. In such cases you have to take the export again specifying the NLS_LANG.
    Never Ever Give Up!

Smile

Hi All:

I think 'set oracle_sid = db2' to import the whole databse that is in UNIX, but how to clone a new databse in NT. Thanks!

Originally posted by wanluo
    Hi All:

I think 'set oracle_sid = db2' to import the whole databse that is in UNIX, but how to clone a new databse in NT. Thanks!
    You can use the same method in Windoz, issue the statements through a command window.

If your talking about a full clone (i.e. the target database does not exist) then the procedure is slightly different.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

HERE IS THE SITUATION:
    This is NT environment. windows advanced server.The DBA before me created the database and all datafiles were sitting on ONLY one drive. E:\
    I was like oh what my gush. what if the database crashes.
    So I have the network engineer rebuilt a new server that I have configured with disk array.

The new database will have the datafile all spread on four drives ( G, F,H,I) and tablespaces are already created and sized + 10% according to all tablespaces in the first database.

I was thinking that Oracle is smart enough given the name of the tablespaces to populate the data in respective tablespaces.
    Please advise
    Arsene Lupain

Man I really hate to help out a potential Ravens fan but here goes...

As long as you set up your tablespaces ahead of time you should be fine, Oracle will look for the correct tablespace names, the location of the datafiles is not a factor during import. The tablespace names must be identical to your exported database or your import will bomb.

GO GIANTS!! (even though we stink!!)

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Hi Mr Hanky
    You are cracking me up. Don't want to laugh my pants off.
    Thank you.
    Go Ravens.
    Arsene Lupain

Import completed successfully BUT no data imported in the new database

Hi all,
    With the following import was completed successfully BUT there is no data imported in the new database.

Here is the import command used:

C:\>SET ORACLE_SID=DB2
    C:\>F:

1)F:>imp system/manager recordlength=65535 full=y feedback=10000 log=imp_full.log file=exp_full.dmp commit=y ignore=y analyze=n show=y

2)With show=y I saws a couple of tables with......skipping my_table_name.

This database is to host a 3rd party application with all the 3000 users including application user.

The new database has no data no user and empty? The only usrers in the new database are sys, internal. I connect to the new database as internal. I import fromuser=application_user_name touser=application_user_name?
    When I did I receive an error message.
    please advise?
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain