DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Site Lagging

Site Lagging

Is it me or is this site lagging today? Seems like it takes a lot longer to load.

For the record I do not like the new format, too many ads taking up too much space. I wish you the best with the new format but I, for one, come here less often now.

MH

(Go for it Jeff, I'm wide open)
    I remember when this place was cool.

Re: Site Lagging

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

For the record I do not like the new format, too many ads taking up too much space. I wish you the best with the new format but I, for one, come here less often now.

MH

(Go for it Jeff, I'm wide open)
    I can't really disagree with you. The excessive advertisements have made the site almost unusable in terms of bandwidth consumption as well as screen area. However, the powers-that-be have made the decision that they will sacrifice the usability of the site for the almighty dollar.
    Jeff Hunter

And what sensible 'powers-that-be' they are, I would like to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Site Manager: "We have a very successful site supporting a wide community of users and generally building a respected name for ourselves - How can we cock that up and p**s everyone off at the same time?"

Advertising: "How about some obstructive, intrusive advertising which everyone will ignore and has the bonus of maiking the site unusable"

Site Manager: "Excellent idea and then we can ignore all the comments made by our long standing users by pandering to the ego's of our advertisers"

Meeting finishes with various hearty pats on the back for a job well done

Just a qick point but how viable is web advertising (in the long run) when all your visitors go elsewhere?

Just my opinion

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Usability is important to us, as is the continued satisfaction of our community. As I've mentioned before, we have to balance this with the ability to economically sustain the forums. I'm optimistic we can strike a balance that keeps everyone happy; I would ask your patience while we work to get to that point.

I assume the bone of contention primarily revolves around the internetnews.com headlines box, which I'm personally not a big fan of either. I'm hoping to have it made smaller or at least removed when there's no accompanying side ad to go with it.

If you feel there are any other ad/layout issues aside from the headlines box, let me know.