DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: max data file size for Oracle 9i on Liniux

max data file size for Oracle 9i on Liniux

Hi,

I have an Oracle 9.0.1.4.0 running on RedHat 7.3. I have encountered the following error while importing from a dump file.

IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1658 encountered
    ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace GSN

I checked the tablespace parameters and it should get new extent just fine. When I look at the ONLY data file size for the tablespace, it has about 2GB.

I am wondering if Oracle has data file size limit on RedHat 7.3. I can't seem to find documents to confirm it.

Does anybody know?
    Thanks,

What is the maxbytes for your datafile? You can create the table in question and then redo the import. If the initial extent on one table is very large it might give you this error even though there is free space in the tablespace. You can always add another datafile to the tablespace. It's my preference to limit datafiles to 2GB.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    What is the maxbytes for your datafile? You can create the table in question and then redo the import. If the initial extent on one table is very large it might give you this error even though there is free space in the tablespace. You can always add another datafile to the tablespace. It's my preference to limit datafiles to 2GB.
    Can't we have datafile size greater than 2GB??? We have our datafiles at standard size of 5GB and we are very much compfortable with it. Everything depends on how you use.

a128,
    To break the 2GB limit, contact your sysadmin.

And what gandolf said is right. Your tablespace is fragented. That' why you are not able to create initial extent in your tablespace eventhough you have freespace.

Try this query to get the size of free chunks available in your tablespace.

select bytes/1024/1024 "MB free" , count(*) from dba_free_space
    where tablespace_name='&tsname'
    group by bytes/1024/1024;

and only best way to see that your import goes nicely is to use the method suggested by gandolf. Manually create the table using smaller extent sizes.
    -nagarjuna

In 9i for linux, oracle itself support large file.It broke the 2GB limit.
    And for the linux, kernel 2.4 broken the 2GB limit.
    www.cnoug.org