DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Data Block Corruption!

Data Block Corruption!

Hi all!

Working on Oracle v8i with OS as Win2k/NT.

Queries:

1.What causes Data Block Corruption.
    2.How could we resolve such Data Block Corruption.
    3.How could we drop corrupted datafile if no longer required.Is it possible to drop corrupted datafile.
    4.With Oracle 9i,are OLAP tools like Datawarehousing,multi Dimensional databases automatically installed
    or do we have to install it separately.
    5.Are there any good Books,Documents available on Datawarehousing,OLAP tools like Data Mart,Data Mining,
    Star Schemas.

Any recommndations on the above topics would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit.
    Oracle DBA (OCP) v8i,v9i

You cannot drop a datafile, you only can drop a tablespace and afterwards delete it's datafiles. ( on 9i, when using Oracle Managed Files, the files will be deleted automaticaly, or use 'drop tablespace .... including contents and datafiles' to automaticly remove the datafiles while dropping the tablespace )

When you use the dbca, and choose the datawarehouse db, all the dwh-tools will be installed.
    If you choose to define you own database ( using the dbca ) you can decide wheter you want to install the option or not.

Read the datawarehousing guide to get a grip of the oracle dwh features.
    For more general info on dwh, you can read the Kimball book. ( here is the url to amazon.com : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...656457-5118336 )

HTH
    Gert