DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Recovery - Noarchivelog

Morning Folks,

I think I'm missing something here, probably several cups of coffee.

When recovering to alternate location because of a media failure, Oracle B&R says "Mimic incomplete recovery using ALTER DATABASE RECOER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL" but cancel before appling any logs.

Is this step something to do with re-synchronisation of the database files or have I lost the plot here?

Bit of a worry since the exam is on Monday!

Any help much appreciated.

Nick

In NOARCHIVELOG mode, there are no archived log file to apply.

You will need to restore ALL databse files from the last valid closed database backup. If you need to restore, say, datafiles to a new location (because the media failure was a disk crash that can't be fixed) then you will need to do an ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE...TO... command.

All data entered after the time of the previous backup that was just applied will need to be re-entered manually.
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

The main reason to do in this case:
    recover database until cancel
    is not for datafile header or archived log. It is for online log.

when you restore from backup, oracle recommend you not restore online log file. And in order to reset the online log file, you need to open databse resetlogs. In order for you to resetlogs, you need to MIMIC recover database until cancel.

[Edited by oca9i2002 on 10-17-2002 at 11:14 PM]

Originally posted by oca9i2002
    In order for you to resetlogs, you need to MIMIC recover database until cancel.
    Thanks for the response guys.

Does this mean the faked incomplete recovery is mandatory or simply recommended?

If mandatory, what does it actually achieve?

Not being lazy (well not that lazy) just don't have access to a test lab at present.

As an aside, does Oracle have documentation similar to IBM's red books describing how the product actually works rather than how it should work. I'm really after some info on the nuts and bolts on the product.

Many thanks

Nick

Nick, Good luck for your exam monday.

OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

I am not sure whether it is useful for you, this question appears on my last Saturday 032 exams, although I do not know whether it is a counted question, since there are 73 questions, and only 64 of them are accounted.

As the backup recommended by Oracle for NOARCHIVELOG:

You should backup your datafile and controlfile, not online redo file.

when you restore from a backup, you can only restore datafile and controfile.

your online log can not be used with your restored backup. You have to reset your online log, which can be achived by open database resetlogs.

in order for you to execute open database resetlogs, you need to perform incomplete recovery.

To pass your exam, remember this is recommended.
    In your real career, just backup your online redo log, and restore it. In this way, you can open database normal.

Thumbs up Passed IZ0-025

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all your responses.

I now have my lab back, (That'll teach me to let my son play Tweenie' Fun Time on my Vaio!, crashed the machine and corrupted the registry with no backup ironic, considering the exam.) so I can check check it out myself.

Must have had some clue cos I took the test on Monday and passed with 53/60. Still a bit disappointed as I could only find 3 questions which I thought might be a problem.

It might just be me, but I found it much easier to discount incorrect answers on this exam than A&A or SQL-PL/SQL. One side of me says that quite a number of the questions were too easy.

Gonna take some "beer time" and possibly re-wire the spare room to keep her indoors happy. Then two more to get done by Christmas! Oh Joy.

Any thanks again all.

Nick

Good job...yes, this exam is easier than A&A or Intro.
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Excellent result Nick, and congratualtions on passing. That is the same score I got for that on. A few shandys for you... he he
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Cheers Mate,

Unfortunately it's now 00:30 and we're are still trying to migrate an application to production, so it'll probably have to wait until Thu.

My stuff worked fine (nice offline backup including control file)
    'kin application is stuffed again!!!

PS, I saw your forray onto google. Now stop upsetting Howard ;-)

Where's Shyamis, she should be up for 25 soon.

On a fairly serious note, this exam doesn't do OCP any favours. Big O aren't going to get anyone to believe in the "Professional" element with this one.

All the best