DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best Response Time

Thumbs up

Hi,

My Requirement

I'm going to have only 2 tables in a database. Version is going to be Oracle 8.1.6. The database is of OLAP type not datawarehouse. The server where the database is going to reside is a high end server with dual cpu@700 Mhz /1 GB Ram. I need best response time to my queries.
    The volume of records is going to be 5 million to 10 million.

Also I have a doubt what is the maximum number of records a single table can contain in oracle 8i?

Now can experts suggest me how to get a good design and what features of Oracle 8i I can use for my requirement? The design aspect should containg tips and techniqes depend upon

1. Table design
    2. Tablespace design
    3. Database parameter settings
    4. SGA Sizing
    5. Disk striping
    6. Storage Parameter settings

and whatever relevant.....

I would like to get your valuable suggestions based upon your experience. So that I can arrive at a beautiful design with best response time

Originally posted by alagy
    I'm going to have only 2 tables in a database. Version is going to be Oracle 8.1.6. The database is of OLAP type not datawarehouse. The server where the database is going to reside is a high end server with dual cpu@700 Mhz /1 GB Ram.
    A 2-way 700Mhz PC is high end? Don't count on using Parallel Queries very much.

I need best response time to my queries.
    The volume of records is going to be 5 million to 10 million.

Also I have a doubt what is the maximum number of records a single table can contain in oracle 8i?

The number of rows is only limited by the amount of disk space you have available.

Now can experts suggest me how to get a good design and what features of Oracle 8i I can use for my requirement?

Materialized Views, Parallel Query, Indexes, etc. See http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...a76994/toc.htm

The design aspect should containg tips and techniqes depend upon

1. Table design
    2. Tablespace design
    3. Database parameter settings
    4. SGA Sizing
    5. Disk striping
    6. Storage Parameter settings

and whatever relevant.....

I would like to get your valuable suggestions based upon your experience. So that I can arrive at a beautiful design with best response time
    Yes, I agree. All these things are important.
    Jeff Hunter

Talking

with 2 tables the desing will be very important.

Question

How should be the table and tablespace design?

Please give out some more information about your talbes's content, and how will you use them?
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998

Table will contain data about customer/subscriber. Mostly inserts and select statements will be fired. Table doesn't contain any large objects.

Does partitioning is adisable?

I would recommand you to use partitioning, specialy if you are often calculating avreages or summes over a larger amount of rows. If you access only one row at a time (using a index) you would proably not get advantage of it.

HTH
    Mike